FIRSTNONBLANK for Numbers

Can First Non Blank formula be used for numbers as mentioned. ArunManickam_0-1604284502692.png

When i try to, i get an error as follows,

ArunManickam_2-1604284611631.png

Let me know if you are able to successfuly use this formula for numbers.

Thanks

Arun

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Misbah
    Answer ✓

@ArunManickam 

No way, as far as I know we can not use FNB on number formatted line items. It has to be removed from Anapedia as It will create confusion to many. Thanks for pointing this out.

Misbah

Answers

• @ArunManickam @Misbah 

Just a thought, did you try to change the summary status to None?  

• @rob_marshall 

Yes! and as expected It doesn't work.

• @Misbah 

Yep, just tested it out and you are correct, it does not work

• @rob_marshall 

I tried with all summary options, it dint work.

Thanks

Arun

• Hi,

Can you use the TEXT() within FNB?

Thanos
  • @thanasis 

Yes, you can.

• Would a workaround to this issue be converting the number to text? Then using FIRSTNONBLANK against the text and then converting it back to number?

I have a use case where I have 3 modules.

I have 1 module that is: 

2 flat lists x line items (Amount- number). (Acquirer and Product flat are the lists). 

I have another module that is:

L4 Acquirer (which rolls up to L1 Product) x line items (Amount- number) 

Lastly I have a System module that is:

L4 x line items (Acquirer & Product flat properties)

If I want to allocate the amount found at intersections in the module with 2 flat lists and apply it to only 1 row of the hierarchy, would firstnonblank against the properties get me there?

Right now the formula is Amount module.amount[LOOKUP: SYSModule.Product, SYSModule.Acquirer].

Problem is the amount is being applied to all members that return the same Product and Acquirer, I only want it to apply to 1.

I.e. if I want to apply $1M to Product A, Acquirer A, instead of showing as $1M in the L4 module, I am seeing $12M because there are 12 members in the hierarchy with Product A and Acquirer A.

Look forward to hearing suggestions. Also ideally this solution would be quick (even if not truly best practice) would prefer a hot fix rather than a full architectural redesign as I have explored that route but we don’t have much time with the client as I am a bit tight on project deadline.