Map Result from System Time (Days) to Customer Days (Fake Days)

Dear Anaplan Experts,

I have below module using Days as time dimension. I also have a line called fake days where I mapped the system days to a fake days list.  

LILYLIU_0-1622733322378.png

Then I would like to do a LOOKUP to pull the data from the above module to a module with the fake day list as dimension.  Time is not a dimension.

LILYLIU_1-1622734158515.png

THanks for your help.

Lily

Answers

• @LilyLiuAnaplan 

Before we start going down this path, why are you creating a fake days list?  What are you trying to accomplish that Native Time at the Day level can't?

Rob

• Thanks, Rob. @rob_marshall 

Yeah, I would love not use fake days, if possible. 

I need to: 

(1) to map from May 25 - June 24 to July - A

(2) to map from June 25 - July 24 to July - B (July - A and July - B need to be looked at separately)

(3) to map from July 25 - Aug 24 to Aug 

(4) to map from Aug 25 - Sep 24 to Sep and so on

I asked about it last week without mentioning the July - A and July - B issue (seems like a fake month is needed unfortunately). Using your workaround, I was able to eliminate days from the 25 to the 30 but wasn't able to pull days from the pervious month to the current one (e.g. to pull July 25 - July 31) to August. 

Thank you so much!

Lily

• @LilyLiuAnaplan 

Is the A and the B for Actuals and Budget, respectively?  If so, why have two fake months (July - A and July - B) and instead dimensionalize the module by versions?

Rob

• @LilyLiuAnaplan 

You can map these dates into their respective time periods and use SUM function to pull the data from a date formatted module into a month module.

There is no need to use a fake days list.

NEVER use a fake time list!!!

• Hi Rob,

Unfortunately, July - A and July - B are both for Actuals. The reason is May 25 - Jun 24 's salary (all calculation needs to be based on these days) need to be reported in July. And June 25 - July 24 's salary also need to be reported in July. We are showing double salary for July.

• Hi @ChrisAHeathcote ,

Thank you so much!

" You can map these dates into their respective time periods and use SUM function to pull the data from a date formatted module into a month module." 

I tried this approach but didn't work. Could you please point me what I did wrong? 

Step 1 Module with System date, mapped to a system month 

LILYLIU_1-1622736850673.png

Step 2 Try to Sum from Day to Month using a SUM function

LILYLIU_0-1622736832508.png

Thanks,

Lily

• @LilyLiuAnaplan 

Ok, I see your issue and got it working but I did have to use a Fake Days list because the sum was having issues due to getting confused because of the different Time blocks (the mapping vs the real days).

So, here it goes, with a Fake Days list:

2021-06-03_13-38-22.png2021-06-03_13-38-48.png2021-06-03_13-39-00.png2021-06-03_13-40-35.png

Hope this helps,

Rob

• Thank you so much @rob_marshall .

I am sorry for a follow up question.  Would it be possible to start with a "real date" module and then map the data to a "fake date" or "fake month" module?

Looking at your example, I would like to use PREVIOUS function, which fills a cell(s) with the contents of the cell above it, in module "Fake Time Days". This is why I want to start with a "real date" module to track changes on a particular day which applies onwards. 

In the worst case, I can do an import from the real date module to the fake date module if the mapping doesn't work, but it would be great to map it.

• @LilyLiuAnaplan 

First, don't be sorry, you have a question and we are here to help.  Plain and simple.  And this is how people learn, by asking questions.  So, all good.

Tell me more about how you envision using the previous function.  I think you can do that, but there might be a lot of hoops to jump through.

Rob

• Hi @rob_marshall ,

Thank you so much for your help.

Please kindly see example below. I need to set up a tracker to track 6 independent attributes of a list of employees. These attributes may change anytime and will remain the same until further change.  this module serves as my input and will be used for calculation by fake day. 

Tracking for salary: the employee's annual salary is 100,000 on 15 May 2020. Then on 5 June 2020, he get assigned to a different task and will have an annual salary of 120,000 going forward, until further notice. On 14 June, he may have another new salary. 

I use the previous to instruct Anplan to pick the previous date amount, if there is no change. 

The formula I used is IF '(2) Salary Change ?' <> 0 THEN '(2) Salary Change ?' ELSE PREVIOUS(Salary)

Ideally, I am hoping to be able to map these input to my fake day module, but ended up getting zero. 

LILYLIU_1-1622749070067.png

• @LilyLiuAnaplan 

Is this an Incentive Compensation use case?  Because if it is there might be a better way of doing this...

Rob

• Hi Rob, 

I am not very familiar with Incentive compensation but it seems they are not the same. 

I am calculating an annual support amount for a list of employees. I have a budget version and an actual version The daily amount is determined by 6 factors. 

(1) if department lead, then formula A

(2) if Year 1 staff, then formula B

(3) if Year 2 Staff, then Formula C

(4) if position change, then formula D

and so on...

I need to monitor these 6 factors by day. If there is no change, I will assume they are the same as the day before. If there is a change (e.g. promotion on March 1), I will need to update this factor from the date of change until the end of the year. 

I would like to use PREVIOUS function so that when I enter the new contractual salary on March 1, the remaining of the year will be updated with the new contractual salary. 

My calculation and aggregation, however, need to be based on fake days as discussed. I want to map the results from the system days module to the customer days module but without success. I was able to achieve this via an module to module import but I am not sure if this is the best approach. 

Thank you so much for your help. 

Thanks,

Lily

• @LilyLiuAnaplan 

I have not forgotten about you, I will DM you now.