Ability for customers to set time frame for when sessions will time out

A detailed description of the enhancement that is being requested:
The Anaplan timeout is currently set at 30 min for ALL users of Anaplan. This setting should be set at the CUSTOMER level so that the customer can control what is an appropriate timeout for their organization. Some may want 10 min timeouts for stricter security, and some may want 10 hr timeouts so they can run processes overnight if needed.
A global timeout does not solve any security issues, it just restricts everyone to use the same global setting. This needs to be flexible.

To provide more clarification, could you please explain how you hope the enhancement would assist in your business process(es)?:
Same as above – Every business needs the flexibility to determine what is an appropriate timeout for their users to ensure the proper security and usability for their specific org.

154 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Comments

• Status changed to: In Review
  • I agree with the proposal to increase idle timeout limit to 1 hour. It would be welcomed by our users, thanks!

• I agree with this suggestion. As long as it does not affect the performance of the model, it would help save our team time as well.

The big cause of this is if someone has to go to a meeting, and then come back a keep working in Anaplan. It does not leave enough time for the user to be away if they need to immediately come back and look at something in the model.

• I agree. I think it would be nice to allow for the admin to set the limit.

• I agree.  Allowing our admins to set the limit would be ideal.  Our users complain about this often when they have multiple windows open and have to login again.

• Yes!  This would be a great improvement and will certainly improve the user experience.  Allowing admins to set the timeout is ideal since it will allow each admin to adhere to the policies set forth by their company.

• Agree. Increase the time out limit would be greatly improve our user experience. Hope model admin can set the timeout as needed.

• Following - I agree this needs to be a parameter owned by customers, ideally by application/workspace

• For authentication assurance level 3 (AAL3), the following controls apply which require a tenant an/or model specific session Time out setting:

Reauthentication: 12 hours or 15 minutes inactivity; SHALL use both authentication factors

• The Tenant admins should have options to set it at the tenant level.I agree this needs to be a parameter owned by customers. Please consider this as a priority. 

• Also needs this capability

• Yes agree this should be a customizable level.

Ideally at the Model level. But at the very least at a Customer (Tenant Admin) level.

Thanks

• Yes, we also need this
  • Can only agree with above suggestion.It should be possible to set inactivity time at model level or minimum tentant level. In this case I can be the spokes person of multiple customers as I´m partner to Anaplan. This is asked for alot

• I support this as well. I model part-time and am on a number of meetings for the rest of my day; it is incredibly frustrating to be halfway through something in Anaplan, get a call, and then come back to find that I have to log in and I have lost all my views and even draft (unsaved) dashboards. Being able to set at a user level would be great. 

• This would definitely would help and "limit" frustration to log-in again multiple times a day. We started using Anaplan in our company recently and this is one of the most heard point to be improved.

• I agree with that idea too. It would be useful if admins could set the time out period per workspace/model. I am receiving complaints from users that might be using other systems as well at the same time or having 2 Anaplan models open and after a call they are kicked out so they have to select everything from scratch.

Personally as a model builder I find it a bit inconvenient when working on something and having to go in a meeting (for example in the middle of troubleshooting using a temporary view which is not saved and after my meeting my view is lost and have to set it up from scratch).

• Allowing admin to set the model timeout would be lot helpful.

• It would be really great to have it. Very often Customers are asking about such functionality. Would be nice to be able to set the time per Workspace or at least Tenant. 

• Yes, would be a good benefit to be able to change it individually and quickly for relevant workspaces. Clients are regularly asking for this feature. 🙂

• Hi, Just to be clear, this is about the end user who for which the browser session has to be managed. Correct?

We also have a "time out" on the model when is it idle for a longer time. The model will go out of memory in that case.
    There are cases where customers run a "keep alive" script to keep the model in memory. This avoids that the end user will be confronted with the model opening time when logging on again. This opening time can for some models be long (>5 min).

I would also like this to be managed by the customer, eg not via a "keep alive" script but managing when the model can get out of memory (for instance each weekend at xx:xx hours).

• Hi, @johan_vangerwen, I believe this is referring to the Anaplan session timing out and the user having to log back into Anaplan and open up the previous page they were looking at. As we have more users needing to view data consistently in Anaplan throughout the day, it is becoming increasingly more cumbersome for the user to have to keep logging back in.

Any update on where this is at? I know the request has been out there for a while.

• @mooreta yes your are correct, it is about the end user browser session, sorry for mixing up with the model time out topic. 

As for the status of the browser session time out, I see it is still "considered for future roadmap". @Rebecca is there already moving something towards "on the roadmap"?

• I have numerous customers complaining about the 30 minute time out and how inconvenient it is.  Often one of the first requests I receive is, "Please switch off this automatic time out for me/us".  The majority of Anaplan users are managing/performing multiple tasks and do not just permanently model build or use/navigate an Anaplan model, therefore it is perceived as an annoyance by customers.  No one wants to keep logging in multiple times throughout the day because they had to answer a call, analyse an existing model outside of Anaplan,  deal with an interruption/urgent matter or simply complete a presentation to a client or team before starting a demonstration of an Anaplan solution or a sprint review session.

The time out has been set to 30 minutes for a long time, so it would be good for customers to understand the rationale behind the time allowed and what the benefits are to the platform.

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!