What are these fiunctions for?: HALFYEARVALUE, QUARTERVALUE, WEEKVALUE, YEARVALUE

Can anyone tell me what these functions are for?
I have read Anapedia but still having a hard time understanding what they do.

MONTHVALUE
HALFYEARVALUE
QUARTERVALUE
WEEKVALUE
YEARVALUE

In the sample below, I guess that "each weekly sales" are compared to "average weekly sales." 
And it turns out to be "True" if a weekly sales is greater than average, but I don't understand why MONTHVALUE has to be used, instead of WEEKVALUE.

Examples

In this example, a Product Sales module has line items on rows and Time on columns. The Net Profit line item has a numeric data type, and the Week above average for month line item has a Boolean data type.

In Blueprint, in the Summary column for Net Profit, Time Summary is set to Average. The formula returns a TRUE result for values that are above average for each week in the month.

Week 1 FY21Week 2 FY21Week 3 FY21Week 4 FY21Jan 21
Net Profit833860867812843

Week above average for month

Net Profit > MONTHVALUE(Net Profit)

Best Answer

• @KOBAYASHI  One example for you.

Summary method is Closing Balance:

Jan 21Feb 21Mar 21Q1(Closing Balance) 
    A=QUARTERVALUE(B)333  
    B1233 
    Quarter Time PeriodQ1Q1Q1  
    C=B[LOOKUP:Quarter Time Period]333  

Answers

• Hi @KOBAYASHI 

Very good question.

Let me use a bit simplier example, maybe this will clarify it to you.

Let's say you have a simple year filter module managed by user. (User selected FY21)

FY21FY22
    Filter BooleanTRUEFALSE

Also you have a published module with some monly data in it. This is the result of the calculation for the formula:

Jan 21Feb 21...Jan 22Feb 22
    YEARVALUE(Filter Boolean)TRUETRUETRUEFALSEFALSE

So what formula does - it just literally takes year value for the months. You could use [LOOKUP:<YEAR>] instead, but it is not always possible.

These functions will return values from the time level mentionned in thier names no matter what formula is in the source or even without any calculation.

Kirill

• Your example is the same. You are comparing whatever lays in Jan 21 (or month value of the Net Profit) vs each respective week (or Net Profit).
  • @KOBAYASHI Another thing to add is that each of the functions are referencing the upper level and have to be used in the lower levels of time schale:

YEARVALUE - Days, Weeks, Months, Quarters, Half-Years

HALFYEARVALUE - Days, Weeks, Months, Quarters
    QUARTERVALUE - Days, Weeks, Months
    MONTHVALUE - Days, Weeks

WEEKVALUE - Days

• @KirillKuznetsov san

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

May I ask you another question to check if my understanding is on the right track?

[Question]

Let me assume that there exist line item "A" and "B" whose data format are both "date period: month"

If "A" takes "B" as an argument in YEARVALUE function, what is set up in Summary column in "B" (Sum, Average, etc.) affects the return value of "A"?

• All Summary methods will affect the return value because these functions are not aggregational, but rather referring. As I said, it works more like LOOKUP, rather than SUM.