blocking user activities

Hi Anaplan community,

I'm trying to manage data locking by changing users access. Unfortunately, I have 79 lists as Selective Access lists to support some business units/companies in a model; it makes a complex security matrix. When I try to export a user access table and then import it into a module, I face technical issues for users that can access multiple-member lists. The module will transform users who get write access to change it to read access so that they can't enter data in some modules. 

On the other hand, I have tons of modules in a model, so I can't use DCA in tons of modules. If I implement Valid From/Valid To on versions, it will produce a storage issue. 

Anyway, is there a good solution to manage data locking in this situation?

Regards,

Andi

Answers

• Hi Anaplan experts,

Could I know any clue to help me, please?

Regards,

• @andis 

Consider using Roles to manage access. 

If you have a large number of users who have the same access rights Roles would be the easiest way to manage them as rules can be applied at the macro level across lists, modules, actions etc. 

If you have a large number of different security requirements which do not have similarities to each other then by the very nature of the large number of combinations this will be time consuming to manage.

• @ChrisAHeathcote 

I'm interested in your first option, implementing user access by roles.

When I opened the Roles->Modules menu, I didn't see the Import button. Could you please give an example of this option?

Regards,

Andi

• @andis 

There is no import option.

You set the role access rights per item (module, action, list etc )

Roles can then be assigned to users via the user settings menu.

• @ChrisAHeathcote 

Hi Chris,

My goal is to create a button on the dashboard for specific users so that they can do data locking/data unlocking. I don't think users will access the User menu.

Do you mind giving other advice?

Thank you for your advice. 

Regards,

Andi

• The only way to achieve what you are looking for is using DCA (dynamic cell access).

If you simply want to block everything in a module you can create a simple input module contain two booleans labelled; Read and Write.

Then in the module table assign these line items as the read and write access drivers. The access options will then be applied to the whole module. 

While I realise this involves some upfront time investment you can simply copy and paste the read / write access settings down all modules that require it. There is no need to assign the drivers to every line item of every module.