Christmas Brain Freeze or Summing from a module when you don't have time as a dimension

Hi,

I have a module (SER) with simple data for a PO, value and a year period by customer

DeveloperCYT_2-1641395083291.png

In an invoice module (that does not have time as a dimension) i want to see the total value for  that customer for the year. The invoice items has a Year based on its posting date.

DeveloperCYT_3-1641395201245.png

SER.Value[SUM: SER.Customer]

This gives me the total, but i only want the total for FY21 as it is an FY21 invoice. (i.e 150)

Its probably Christmas fog, but surely this is simple and i have a mental block? 

Best Answer

• Ah sorry, just noticed that you are referring to the target module - on the screenshot it looks like it has time dimension. If it's subsidiary view or something, and you only want 2021, I see two options (I assume 2021 is labeled as "Previous Year", and should be defined as line item in SYS module):
    1. In the SER module, add column "PY Customer" with formula "IF SER.Year=SYS.Previous Year THEN Customer ELSE BLANK. Then in your reporting KAM module just SUM using this new line item, so formula should be equal to: SER.Value[SUM: SER.PY Customer]
    2. build calculation module in which you will SUM it by customer and period, then in you reporting module just LOOKUP by Previous Year

Answers

• Hi,

Based on what I see on your screenshots, just adding SUM by Time to the formula should be enough. So your final formula should be:
    SER.Value[SUM: SER.Customer, SUM: SER.Year]

If you'd have Time dimension in the source module, you would not need that, but because you don't have it, you need to explicitly point Anaplan to the line item from which it should take Year mapping.

• Hi DeveloperCYT,

Try TIMESUM(), since you want the sum of something dimensioned by time, but where your target module has no time.

You could refer to the start and end period on line items which either have formulas to automate what time range you want to see or have them as input fields so the end user can change it, giving them flexibility.

See Anapedia: 

https://help.anaplan.com/13d8b551-4e13-413b-a39f-f25579d21e38-TIMESUM

Hope this helps!

Ege

• But i don't have TIME in my invoice module, so that won't (and doesn't) work.

• But you have Year column in SER module - the last column on your first screenshot. You can just Sum by it (I assumed in my formula it's just named "Year")

• Hi, 

SER.Value[SUM: SER.Customer, SUM: SER.Year]
    works if i have a timescale in the invoice module, BUT i do not have a timescale in the invoice module, that would indeed be simple as it would if i had a timescale in the source module. 

DeveloperCYT_0-1641397024470.png

• I have no timescale in either module, so cannot use timescale i think

• That would work, may slightly tweak but yes i like the idea

thanks

• Ah right sorry, I agree with M.Kierepka's suggestion above then ^^^