NUX Forms: Exception handling when duplicate code entered

When using forms to add to a list (where the code can be entered), users can accidently re-enter an existing code which triggers a model roll back, as it's considered a duplicate.

There's also no notification the model is rolling back so it looks like the app is spinning its wheels. This leads to confusion and potentially the user trying again (to no avail and another roll back).

Ideally, there should be some form of exception handling to prevent this scenario, including,

- notification that the code is already in use, and

- the option to accept that the data (inclusive of parent-child relationship) will be updated, or

- the option to cancel the process from running all together.

7 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• This would be incredibly useful.

A way to get around this would be to allow for automatic generation of a code on create, which has been suggested here (link below). The ability to add a form to a process would allow even more flexibility here.

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/NUX-Forms-Exception-handling-when-duplicate-code-entered/idi-p/115271

Forms are a fantastic new release, the above mentioned would help take them to the next level.

• Are there any updates on this? When inserting list items from the back-end and then manually setting the code as a duplicate, an error appears almost immediately with no rollback - why is the same not possible via NUX? The resulting rollback/toast time this causes is significant - enough so that we are now abandoning the use of NUX Forms to get around this, it's too risky for a production model.

• Using forms, when I try to insert new list item with already existing code then I receive the following error.

Hope this helps.

• Hi @Vamsi_Kaki - was this with a numbered or non-numbered list?

Just tried again and it still rolls back when entering a duplicate code for a numbered list.

Cheers,

L

• Hello @luke_e

I tried with both numbered and non-numbered lists. Received same result in both cases.

Here is the example, I created an item with name (ABC) and code (E123). When I try to create one more with same data, received a notification as "Item with this name already exists".

• Thanks for the follow-up — I had another play using a different set of lists.

I could reproduce the same "Item with this name already exists" error when using a non-numbered list, where the "Name" field matches an existing record.

However, when trying on a numbered list which doesn't have the same "Name" check, it'll still roll back (given display names for numbered lists can be the same). You can ofcourse ignore entering the code (and rely on the internal Anaplan code) but isn't really a solution when there's a specific code to be used.

Not sure what kind of setup you had for the numbered list to prevent the roll back.

Cheers,

L

• Agreed, it is an underwhelming end user experience waiting for the model to rollback if a duplicate code has accidentally been entered. It would be a big improvement to forms if this could be avoided.

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!