inquiry on how to execute time ranges to minimize model size

Hi Community,

I have a question on how to minimize the model size of the client. Recently they ask to have an additional 2 Previous years on the model (which is done already). They added FY2017 and 2018. This reflects on all of their modules which greatly increased their model size. It is currently on 105GB already. But then they ask me to remove the 2017 and 2017 years on some modules that does not need 2017 and 2018. To at least decrease the size of the model (hopefully). I previously encountered time ranges but I have not personally use it yet. Can someone gave me some examples on how to execute the time range (with screen shot if possible). And with this, is it possible to decrease the model size for the meantime.?

Hope you can provide some insights on this matter.

Regards,

Tagged:

Best Answer

• @Jsdeloria21 Time ranges is one of the best practices for keeping your model size under control. 

If your model calendar now has 2017-2022 defined, that means all your modules that use time dimension will apply same time range. 

First you need to ask yourself: is the entire time range really needed in all modules? do I need it only for historical data? Or I will frequently report backdated periods or do comparisons with 2017/2018 still? If the answer is to only keep archived/historical data, then you can only target those modules and apply a larger time range. 

AlexandruRosca_0-1656060199148.png

You can define it from: Model time -> Time range. You can set as many as you want to. Further on you can apply those to module line items: If you do it right, you will be able to reduce the size considerably. 

AlexandruRosca_1-1656060486115.png

Also, is a very good practice to review all the modules and see if all line items in the model require to apply a time dimension or if they require to apply all dimension of the module. Check your summary methods, duplicate calculations (can you use line item subsets for those?). Make use of the system modules to avoid multiple reference in each module, etc. 

Here are some great resource examples:

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/On-Demand-Courses/Reducing-Model-Size-Introduction-to-Sparsity/ta-p/27718

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Anaplan-Platform/Model-Optimization/td-p/49389

Answers