Move data from fake time period to real time period (For restriction of drop down selection on time)

Hi,

I want to move the data from fake week to real week. I tried with multiple formulae and still getting errors. Request your help.

Please find the screen shot of requirement below:

Kaviah_0-1666188258281.pngKaviah_1-1666188265279.png

And I have a mapping module as below:

Kaviah_2-1666188291109.pngKaviah_3-1666188296125.png

And my fake week list is as below:

Kaviah_4-1666188317048.png

Note: The reason why I have created a fake time is period is that my original time period has more than ~250 weeks including the historic years. But I want to select only from the 52 weeks of current year. So, I have created a fake time list and using a subset of 52 weeks alone from that fake time period as a selection drop down rather than the original ~250 weeks.

Best Answer

• No problem, if I understand the issue then does the below example cover your scenario:

User selects fake time and auto generates the real date (or time period)

AdamCookson_2-1666195778553.png

Data can then be moved using this combination if required (note that sum/lookup is a very intensive formula):

AdamCookson_1-1666195540192.png

Does this provide the solution you're looking for?

Answers

• You can transition data from a fake timeline to a real timeline via the SUM formula when the fake timeline has a real time reference attached to it.

Fake time list (I had this as a property, but best practise would be to have the reference in an attribute module):

AdamCookson_0-1666190531939.png

Data stored on fake time:

AdamCookson_1-1666190555043.png

Data transferred to real time:

AdamCookson_2-1666190589225.png

Hopefully that process makes sense and helps resolve the issue you're seeing.

• Hi @AdamCookson ,

Thank you for taking time and replying to my question.

The simple sum may work to move the data if data is entered against the fake list member. But here in my case, the input data itself is a drop down with data format fake list. 

The complexity here is moving data between two different data types.

Kaviah_0-1666195030701.png

Blue Print view of the above screenshot below:

Here you can notice that the source and target have a different data type.

Kaviah_1-1666195104224.png

Any further help here is much appreciated.

Thank you.

• Hi @Kaviah 

Here is my solution

• Start creating one list "Weeks"
    • Insert  52 members like Week 1, Week 2,.........., Week 52Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 10.21.02 PM.png
    • Create one SYS Weeks module as shown in the screenshots belowScreenshot 2022-10-19 at 10.23.07 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 10.23.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 10.23.32 PM.png

•  Notice that Current Year line item doesn't have any dimension and you'll have to manually update this value.
    • Now see the calculation in your target module
    •  Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 10.25.42 PM.png

• Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 10.25.54 PM.png
    • I hope it helps. This method will automatically update the relation between the dropdown weeks and the current year (Manually set). As you change the current year value, it will point to the weeks of that years.
    • In case you want to show "FY .." in your dropdown as well then you'll have to use the numbered list and create a formula for Display name property which makes the dropdown dynamic.
    • One thing that you should know is that as you change the value of current year the earlier user input values will also change.

If you've any doubts, feel free to reply and ask those doubts.

If you find this helpful. Please kudo it (It helps me stay motivated to answer the questions).

Thanks!

-Shubham

• Hi @AdamCookson 

Exactly, this is my scenario to convert from fake time to real time. Thank you for giving me the right direction. It fixed my issue. 

• Hi @ShubhamCh 

Thank you for taking time and providing the alternate ways for the solution.

• Hi @Kaviah 

I think I didn't get the whole problem earlier and provided only one part of the solution. Now I re-read @AdamCookson 's solution and understood the problem completely. It is an interesting use case. 👍

Thanks for the kudo.

- Shubham