Anaplan natural rollup is not equal to sum of values from its children

Hi, fellow Anaplaners

I observed some weird behaviour of Anaplan natural rollup (meaning set line item as number & sum as summary method, then parent item will take sum of all its children's values). 

I have 2 line items here:

1. Commercial input is number formatted; no formula, is for planners to manual input forecast numbers

2. Final forecast CG is number formatted; formula is set to take commercial input if it is not zero, otherwise it takes statistically calculated forecast.

Some of the Commercial input will be blank due to no entries from the planners. But then when Anaplan sums up Commercial input values, the total will be different from the total of Final forecast CG which are supposed to be the same.

Please refer to the details in the attached Excel which is exported from the module. I am suspecting it might have something to do with those cells left BLANK in Commercial input but I couldn't really figure out the backend reason. Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi @tingtingxia 

it looks bit strange!

Is there any Access/Workflow associated with the planners to enter the data?. I am not sure why this is throwing wrong data, it might be because of Blanks/empty cells. Can you have another 2 line items LI1 - if commercial input<>0 then commercial input else 0 and LI2 (constant) - without time,applies to - Hard code to 1. If the total for LI1 comes correct then use ratio as summary(LI1/LI2) for Commercial input. 

Check for other replies, if you get any solution then nice else raise it to Support. 

Thanks,
    Manjunath

• Hi @tingtingxia 

Something doesn't feel right in the export file. How does this file showing blank cells in the export when that line item is number formatted? We can select the zero representation in number format but when it is exported, the zeroes are shown in the cell whereas I see blank cell in your excel file. 

Second, I thought that some of the numbers are entered as decimals and you have kept the decimals places as 0, so it isn't showing the correct value but adding those decimals in the backend. I was correct when I went through the excel file. There are some values which has decimal part to them and shown as an integer but still I am unable to justify the difference between the summaries, provided the excel file isn't tweaked. 

I still have one question though, how does this file not showing zeroes but blank when the line item is number formatted?

@ManjunathKN, would you like to add something here? Is there a way which can justify the blanks instead of zeroes?

- Shubham

• @tingtingxia 

You might want to check the hierarchy, making sure you don't have any orphaned members which could be altering your top level member.

• @ShubhamCh 

As i said, you can get blanks if DCA is applied only to write access for that cell. It might also be because of some problem associated with list like Rob mentioned.

Thanks,
    Manjunath

• Thanks @ManjunathKN ! It clears my doubt. Kudos to you.😊

- Shubham

• Hi @ManjunathKN 

Thanks for the insights. Yes, there is DCA applied for this Commercial Input line item. For those ticked as collaborative products, planners will be able to key in or upload Commercial Input via csv files. And the controlling boolean is with Summary as Any.

Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 7.17.40 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 7.28.44 PM.png

But may I understand why DCA is causing this "rollup difference"? In your example, where is that "304" come from?

(And also thanks @rob_marshall ! This was also the 1st thing that came to my mind to check. But the product tree is correctly set up, hence seeking help from Community here. 🙂 

BR

Tingting

• Hi @tingtingxia 

It is coming 304 because I have value 10 in my L1 and you cant see because it is blank. In your case you have a driver for read but it is not retrieving true to read your blank cells. What it tells is you have values in your blank cells. To check what is the value do the exercise which I explained in first comment.

Thanks,

Manjunath 

• Those line item is only for testing to know what is value for blanks, delete it after the exercise. 

• Hi @ManjunathKN 

Well understood and thanks for the insights & solution! It really helps!

BR

Tingting