Line Item Subset Formatting

AndrewHall
edited November 2022 in User Experience Ideas

This post is a bit of getting ideas to work around but also see if people are experiencing similar issues.

I think it would be a good idea if Line Item Subsets could inherit the formatting and time settings from the source modules that they come from.

In the situation where you had a KPI which was a %, a number and a currency value, these could be split into 3 separate line item subsets and presented on the same dashboard. This will take up more space as the data will be coming from 3 separate modules. They will also need to be manually maintained for which lines go into each subset if a new line item is added to the source module.

Similarly for time settings, in a situation where a source module has a balance sheet movement that might have an opening balance, some movements which are summed over time, a closing balance and also an average balance. These would also need to be split into separate modules with similar problems as above.

This becomes a bit of an issue when trying to do version variances without using a native version formula. In a roundabout way, an idea of version subsets may also be a useful solution as the variances are only present in the modules where required and not in any input modules.

72 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Miran
    edited November 2022
  • andrewtye
    edited November 2022

Amazing how often I come on here and think, yes, why didn't I put this down already!

Would make using line item subsets a real game changer rather than modules with a load of line items on it.

• Mitch_Max
    edited November 2022

Yes, @AndrewHall this is a feature that would have much value.  

• PhilippErkinger
    edited November 2022

Every single customer asks this first time you show a simple variance report build with line item subset. Why doesn't it show the same format?

And on you go building again several "intermediate" modules with mappings and lookups just to get the formatting right. Would be fantastic if this is solved! 🙂

• dan.fleming
    edited November 2022

Going through the pains of not having this feature available right now. Inheriting the original line item formatting would be a big win!

• u06gr8
    edited November 2022

As Dan notes - same here. This feature would be invaluable.

• mhemphill
    edited November 2022

Yep - much help is needed with LISS as per another posting of my own.  LISS is Anaplan best practice yet Line Items look far better.  If LISS is the first thing a new user sees then they may be less than impressed.

Help needed

• mhemphill
    edited November 2022

This posting has 32 Kudos yet status is still "Your support is needed"  🙂

• Reza
    edited November 2022

I would also suggest the ability to format grids in UX, that may be easier to develop and provide a workaround for this

• FidendaChris
    edited November 2022

Either the ability to overwrite column/row formatting in the UX or inheriting LISS formatting would be a huge win!

Surely being able to select a line and set it to % or similar in the UX is similar enough to setting conditional formatting?

• ManjunathKN
    edited November 2022

It would be great to have the prefix/suffix in New UX boards/worksheet like management reporting format where one can put prefix/suffix easily in format option. It would greatly reduce the modelling efforts, especially when using LIS we will have to bring the percentage values in text format as a workaround to display in %age values.

• Adding my two cents and up vote. We have the ability to format grids in the UX based on the style settings for the line items, but if we have an LISS we lose those settings and thus the ability to format heading vs summary vs normal. Trying to create an IS or BS that are visually easier to follow is now impossible if using a LISS.

• I can see I am not alone, particularly for variance reporting to inherit same format as source and to distinguish number, % and $ values. It would be great if number for LI using line item subset can inherit any of source format.

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!