Meet Certified Master Anaplanner Jerry Wu

GingerAnderson
edited April 2023 in Blog

Meet Jerry Wu — Certified Master Anaplanner, and Product Manager, Enterprise Apps at Snap Inc. in Texas. Jerry is part of a team that maintains, supports, and develops revenue planning, sales opps planning, and sales incentive compensation using Anaplan. Snap, Inc. empowers people to express themselves through products including Snapchat, Spectacles, and Bitmoji. Jerry shared his Bitmoji when asked for a headshot – the first Bitmoji we’ve received as a headshot!

Jerry took time to share with the Anaplan Community more about his background, the skills he values from his learning journey, and suggestions for aspiring Certified Master Anaplanners.

“Leadership opportunities within organizations rely on knowledge and skills that you bring to the table and certain job opportunities expect a certain level of expertise and experience. Being a Certified Master Anaplanner helps to acknowledge that expertise and experience.” – Jerry Wu

Tune in to hear more about Jerry’s thoughts on the Certified Master Anaplanner program and benefits it has brought him. (Transcript also available below.)

If you have a story to share about your Anaplan journey, we would love to connect. Share in the comments below or contact us at CommunityContent@anaplan.com.

Transcript:

Interviewer: Tell us about yourself and your role.

Jerry: My name is Jerry Wu. I'm a Certified Master Anaplanner and currently working within IT applications as a product manager. I'm part of a team that maintains, supports, and develops revenue planning, sales opps planning, and sales incentive compensation using Anaplan as one of the platforms.

Interviewer: Share with us your Certified Master Anaplanner journey.

Jerry: I've worked for Anaplan as a consultant in the earlier days of Anaplan and then I also worked as a consultant, most recently for Deloitte, implementing Anaplan solutions within the partner network. And now I’ve come full circle, I'm a customer with Snap Inc. supporting and creating Anaplan solutions for various use cases within our company.

Interviewer: What are some of the most valuable skills you have learned on your journey?

Jerry: You know, both as a partner or even now as a customer, I feel that one of the most important skills that one can bring to the table is the ability to think differently and not box yourself into certain assumptions. What I mean by that is, no two companies are the same, right? So same goes for the way you plan or model. But being able to explain why and meet them at a certain acceptable place can lead to better outcomes. I guess a better word to use is compromise. Right? Learning to compromise, along with negotiating.

Interviewer: How has the Master Anaplanner Community impacted your Anaplan journey?

Jerry: I've been asked by business partners or even other customers or partners for that matter, to be a customer referral. I'm able to speak to, you know, when a customer brings a problem saying, “hey, we're trying to implement this solution and we are trying to decide between these various platforms… How do you feel about that?” Bringing a perspective that doesn't have that technical aspect. And I can answer all the technical questions as well. As well as the opinions of, does this all work well from a customer perspective.

Interviewer: What are some opportunities being a Master Anaplanner has brought you?

Jerry: Mostly leadership opportunities within organizations that rely on knowledge and skills that you bring to the table. I feel like certain job opportunities expect a certain level of expertise and experience. Being a Certified Master Anaplanner helps to acknowledge that expertise and experience.

Interviewer: What advice or suggestions do you have for an aspiring Certified Master Anaplanner?

Jerry: Community and networking are two of the things I feel are really valuable. And what I mean by that is, right now as an expert — having many years of Anaplan experience — who do the experts go to when they have questions or need help? As a model builder, you can always look up to someone who is a Certified Solution Architect or a Certified Master Anaplanner and say, “hey, I'm trying to do this. How do you think I should go about this?” Or, specific questions when someone is stuck. 

But who do the experts — who does a Certified Master Anaplanner — go to? And I'll point back to the Community and networking. Right. The Community helps you to ingest those various ideas and knowledge, but also helps you to build that network of who you go to when you're stumped. If I turn to the person next to me and get my problem resolved? Well, I can always rely on the Community to, and if I can't find that answer, I can post that question and see if people can help me out.

Comments

• StaceyBrooks
    edited November 2022

Fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing your journey and your thoughts with us, @jwu!

• JaredDolich
    edited November 2022

@jwu 

Terrific story. Couldn't agree more about using the Community as a way of networking beyond the SA and MA. Great video. Thanks for sharing. Nice guitar, btw, gotta classical guitar back there too?

• jwu
    jwu
    edited November 2022

@JaredDolich Yes, there is a classical guitar up there as well and guitars all over the house.  My son is the guitar talent.  I'm the roadie that buys the strings.