Set up custom time scale

Alison25
edited November 2022 in Modeling

Hi

My current model is using a fiscal calendar e.g. FY23: 1 Jul 2022 – 30 Jun 2023.

However, I have a specific use case, where I need to build a module that uses a calendar year e.g. FY23: 1 Jan 2022 – 31 Dec 2022.

Is there a way to resolve this use case? Based on current research, I would need to create a fake time list/module, however I can’t figure out how to map this fake time to the real time (i.e. native time in Anaplan).

Thanks,

Answers

• StevenBeerthuizen
    edited November 2022

You can have a look at an example custom time scale in this app: https://community.anaplan.com/t5/learning/Modeling-Examples/ba-p/28084
    Kr,
    Steven

• Alison25
    edited November 2022

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your response. Based on your link below I have done the following:

1. Created a list for fake months, called "Calendar Months"  - E.g Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, etc.. Dec

Alison25_1-1668071901913.png

2. Created a mapping module dimensioned by Time (months) and included a line item (Calendar Month) formatted by the list of fake months. I have had to manually map each real month to the fake month per the attached screenshot. However was wondering if there is a more efficient way of doing this, as this is quite cumbersome?

Alison25_2-1668071933582.pngAlison25_3-1668071961334.png

I would then hypothetically use a LOOKUP function in my calculation module.

• StevenBeerthuizen
    edited November 2022

You need to have the year rollup also, right? And if you use the same naming as the real time, you can easily use FINDITEM on the time dimension.
    Kr,
    Steven 

edit: you can create your custom time from an import using the real time....this way you can assure you have the same naming

• fabien.junod
    edited November 2022

Hello @Alison25 ,

To automate the mapping Time > Calendar months, you can add a code to your list items corresponding to the month #

fabienjunod_0-1668109322184.png

Then use FINDITEM in your SYS03 module

fabienjunod_2-1668109492135.png

• Alison25
    edited November 2022

Hi @fabien.junod 

Thanks this was super helpful. Just a last question - in my current list it does not include the year, i.e. Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May ..... Dec. If I wanted to do this across multiple calendar years (e.g. Jan 22 - Dec 22, Jan 23 - Dec 23... etc), how would I solve for this?

Would I need to make edit my existing list to include ALL the required months and respective year?

Thanks

Alison

• fabien.junod
    edited November 2022

Hello @Alison25 

Are you saying that you need your custom time scale to include the year?

If that the case, you could:

1) Create a custom time scale that includes month and year. Then add a code like "month#_year" to automate the mapping

2) Create two lists, one for the month and one for the year.

But taking a step back: What are you trying to achieve?

You mentioned that you need a time scale that aligns with the Calendar Year but you Fiscal Year starts in July

Can't you use a time range that includes the calendar year that you need?

Example: if you need the period Jan 2022 to Dec 2022, you could dimension your module by a time range that includes FY22 (July 2021 - June 2022) and FY23 (July 2022 - June 2023). Then you use filters and conditional to make sure only Jan 2022 - Dec2022 is visible and populated