Anaplan Integration with Alteryx

I'm currently experiencing an issue with a new Alteryx to Anaplan connector. I've setup the import and mapping process similar to how we map for Anaplan Connect. I create the imports manually, map the file as "Admins Only" and then add it to a process. On the Alteryx side I reference the process name as a part of the automation. When I try to run the process though using Alteryx the file is created on the Alteryx end but the sample file I used to map the imports is loaded instead of the new data from the Alteryx connection. Has anyone experienced this issue before with Alteryx? Did you do anything different on the Anaplan side for mapping the imports?

Best Answer

• Thomas.Rickels
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

The solution I found after some experimentation is you need to take the following steps depending on what you would like to run.

First, you will need the Anaplan Connect tool within Alteryx ( you may have to download this from Alteryx's community page)

Second, log in to Anaplan using your username and password, and then from here, you may select the type of action you would like to run.

*Assuming you have already created your processes and import actions within Anaplan you can proceed to the next steps. If you haven't created these yet. Follow the same process of creating imports with "Admins Only" as we have done for Anaplan Connect.

Below are the two options you have within Alteryx's Anaplan Connector:

Run Import to Overwrite: This will overwrite the current mapping file within Anaplan with the data you have coming from Alteryx. This option should be used if you are trying to import data into Anaplan. The key difference here is you will need to run the import actions as steps within Alteryx rather than as a process done in Anaplan Connect. To do this you will use a combination of "Block Until Done" to run each import action in sequence as a process. See the attached image as an example of this.

Run Process after Import: this option allows you to run a process within Anaplan. Simply choose the process you would like to run and Alteryx will execute it. This is great if you have for instance data you would like to move between the data hub and spoke models or any other process action for that matter. Keep in mind I found this does not work for moving data into Anaplan. To do that use the Run Import to Overwrite.

Again this is what I've found that has worked to manage the connection with Alteryx. I'm always open to new ideas so feel free to share.

Answers

• ryan_kohn
    edited November 2022

@Thomas.Rickels Can you share any more detail about what tools/scripting environment you've used to build your connector?

For the moment, I am assuming you have built a script to call the Anaplan API's directly. It sounds like you may have missed the step where you upload the newly generated file to Anaplan. See here for the API calls you need to do this: https://anaplanbulkapi20.docs.apiary.io/#Upload-files

Generally speaking, you will need to use a PUT call to upload the file to the /files endpoint using the relevant fileId (which you can also get from the API). Happy to provide some more specifics if needed and if you can share more about your script and calls you are trying to use currently.

• ryan_kohn
    edited November 2022

@Thomas.Rickels It will also be important for you to know the Anaplan user account that Alteryx is using to upload the file as well as the Anaplan user account being used to run the import.

You can read more about the nuances with private vs public files and integrations here: https://help.anaplan.com/ebc01b56-7b57-4e36-93de-acfdb75a8441-Overview-of-Private-and-Default-Files

• andrewtye
    edited November 2022

I wonder if @Sarahjayne.Estrada might know either a) the answer or b) someone that does. Afterall they work for Alteryx!

• Sarahjayne.Estrada
    edited November 2022
    Hey are you still having this issue? I can totally help you! My colleague Andrew Gandara and I actually worked with engineering to help build this connector!
  • rob_marshall
    edited November 2022

@Sarahjayne.Estrada 

You ROCK!

• chetanmadhup
    edited November 2022

Hi Sarahjayne Estrada,

It is great to learn that you have worked on the connector. We are trying to automate data feed from Alteryx into Anaplan model. Could you help with some guidance or link for the process steps. TIA.

• Sarahjayne.Estrada
    edited November 2022

Yes !

Are you having any specific issues ? Please post screenshots or an example of what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe we can solve it here!

• chetanmadhup
    edited November 2022

Thanks! But, we are not facing any specific issue. Infact, we are at step no. 1 meaning we are thinking about connecting Alteryx and Anaplan and are looking for materials on the process steps and prerequisites to have a conversation with stakeholders.

• Sarahjayne.Estrada
    edited November 2022
    Sent you a DM. Would love to collaborate and see if theres anything I can assist with!
  • Sarahjayne.Estrada
    edited November 2022
    Sent you a DM. Let's chat!
  • Hi @Sarahjayne.Estrada .As @chetanmadhup requested, is there any documentation or videos which lists out the steps to perform an input to Anaplan or output from Anaplan using Alteryx.

Kindly advise.

Thanks