Filtering and UX

Ivan_Lo_
edited November 2022 in Modeling

Hi all,

Here is my situation:

I got a module (REP_01G) to calculate Version Variance, this module has other dimensions such GL, Project, Currency, Company, and Time scale is Month. And a list of line items as shown below:

Ivan_Lo__0-1667895075015.png

Reports with Time and Line Items on column will be build. The row could be project, GL, or company, but the column will be the same. Since the user required to have the ability to control the line items to be shown as column with 5 Years on the report as shown.

Ivan_Lo__1-1667895394253.png

A system module has been built with Line Item Subset from REP_01G and user as a dimension. A user filer "Applied Filter" is populated based on user selection on the from CY to CY+5. This filter will be used as column filter.

Ivan_Lo__2-1667895585324.png 

Ivan_Lo__3-1667895729591.png

In model building environment, the filter is working fine on the report column no matter which dimension has been used as row.

Ivan_Lo__4-1667895805071.png

However, in UX, the filter only work when GL is used in row. If I use other dimensions such as Project as row, nothing will be filtered on column.

GL as row:

Ivan_Lo__5-1667896593239.png

Project as row:

Ivan_Lo__6-1667896646480.png

There is a pattern on this behaviour, in UX, the column filter only work on the dimension that is the first in order in "Applied To" of the module.

In REP_01G, Applied To, the order of dimension is "GL, Project, Currency, Company". Then, in UX, the column filter will work only when GL is on Row. Then, I changed the sequence in "Applied To" to "Project, GL, Currency, Company". The column filter will work when Project is on row but not working for the others. 

The other behaviour is as long as the first dimension is on the row, whether you stacking with other dimension, the filter will also work.

I hope any of you can help since I expect to reuse the same reporting module to build multiple report with different orientation in UX.

Thanks.  

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Ivan_Lo_
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

Hi,

There is still no solution for this issue.

Instead of building a custom view in UX, the work around is to create a saved module view with all the filters and publish this saved view into UX. 

Thanks,

Ivan

Answers

• ManjunathKN
    edited November 2022

Hi @Ivan_Lo_ 

Can you try to pivot the filter module (with LIS) to the dimension which is first dimension in your reporting module. 

lets say you want to pivot/orient the reporting module in UX, context: GL & Company, columns: Time & Line items and rows: Project.

your filter module pivot should be like: Context: LIS: rep01, Coumns: time.

if it works, you dont need to create many reporting modules but different filter modules with different pivoting is needed.

Thanks,
    Manjunath

• Ivan_Lo_
    edited November 2022

This is the "Applied Filter" which with the correct TRUE in the year and line item intersection.

Ivan_Lo__0-1667903350887.png

• Ivan_Lo_
    edited November 2022
    I don't think we need to pivot the filter module to get it work. As long as the boolean is populated, it should filter the required column which is Time and Line Items.
  • Ivan_Lo_
    edited November 2022

It looks like a bug in UX to me. 

• ManjunathKN
    edited November 2022

@Ivan_Lo_ I am not sure, if it is a bug or not. I recall that it has happened to me few many times. most of the times i was able to solve by rearranging/pivoting my filter module. you can give it a try, by pivoting both LISS filter and applied filter to the first dimension of reporting module.

Thanks,
    Manjunath

• Ivan_Lo_
    edited November 2022

@ManjunathKN ,

May be my first post is not clear.

I got 1 reporting module REP_01G and 1 filter module.

In REP_01G, dimension are GL, Project, Currency, Company, and Time scale is Month.

In filter module, dimension are LIS create from REP_01G, and Time scale is month

In UX, I build the report using REP_01G. Applied the boolean line item from filter module  as column filter.

Does it make more clear on my issue?

• ManjunathKN
    edited November 2022

@Ivan_Lo_  I will come back on this. 

Thanks,
    Manjunath

• I met the same problem as you. It seems filtering by line item subset does not work on the custom view.