Load monthly data into weekly time setting model

Dear Anaplanners

I have a dump question whereby I cannot get it over yet.

I have a model whose time setting is designed as weekly (for later stage replenishment planning)

While the demand forecast is still by month, so I have an import module to load monthly history sales dimensioned as below:

My source csv file looks like below:

But when I uploaded the data, time mapping looks weird. Not the regular month-to-month automatic mapping that I expected. Any thoughths, advice on this?

Thanks!

Cheers

TT

Best Answers

• Hi @tingtingxia,

Firstly, we cannot import directly from monthly data to 4-4-5 Weeks time scale ( 4-4-5 weeks means, in one quarter, first and second month are having 4 weeks (4*7=28 days each) and last month will have (5*7=35days)) this does not work by months.

I will get back after the troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Manjunath

• ManjunathKN
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

@tingtingxia ,

Can you remove the columns 4 and 5, since it is not mapped to anywhere and you have marked the mapping as column headers and Anaplan will consider this also as time.

I think it should work with the same mapping after removing the column 4 (item description) and column 5.

Edit: Keep the time mapping to Periods (Y-M)

Thanks,

Manjunath

• Hi @ManjunathKN

I checked my file again and removed "invisible" columns beyond the time horizon and now it works. Thanks so much for the advice!

But I used to think that we can have some redundant/not needed columns in the source file as long as they are not mapped. Or is it because I am loading monthly data into weekly model, hence the extra caution?

BR

TT

Answers

• ShubhamCh
    edited January 2023

Hi @tingtingxia

I tried to replicate the scenario, but I couldn't. I see that in your screenshot Time dimensions' mapping is shown as a list mapping which shouldn't be.

Time dimension mapping looks like

while your model is showing it as a list mapping. Not sure why it is doing that. @ManjunathKN @Misbah can you please take a look at this?

Thanks!

-Shubham

• Hi @ShubhamCh

Thanks for checking this out. Below is how my initial mapping looks like based on the source file format I got.

Just add on here to see whether anything weird can be spotted here.

Cheers

TT

• Hi @tingtingxia

I don't see anything wrong with the mapping tab but only with the Time mapping tab and I don't have any explanation for this as this is the first time when I'm seeing this kind of behavior. I'll tag Anaplan experts. Maybe they can give a better explanation.

@ryan_kohn @JaredDolich @rob_marshall please have a look at the problem.

Thanks!

• Hi @ManjunathKN

Thanks for helping out here! Really appreciate it. I deleted Column 4 & 5 and tried to upload again. Unfortunately I am still seeing the same thing. This does puzzle me quite a lot since I did work with weekly setting models but have monthly data load. This encountering is something I've never seen before.

Cheers

TT

• @tingtingxia,

You should not get this error. I had reciprocated the problem in my testing model and tested the scenario.

I believe there will be additional columns as column headers other than periods.

If you could send me the file, which doesn't contain original data, I will correct the file and send you sample one.

Thanks,

Manjunath

• @tingtingxia ,

Great! Happy to hear that it works for you.

Yes, redundant columns are not a trouble unless it is not mapped. But, in your case you have mapped by mapping it through column headers. So, indeed the concept is correct but by mistake you have used those columns in mapping.

Thanks,

Manjunath