Model history api endpoint

As a integration admin, i d need to be able to access to the model history through an api endpoint and in the model

This is required in order to

- listen to models actions and check if / whenservicess outside anaplan should be triggered

- extract for audit purposes the history of anaplan model and expose it to auditors or even bring it back to expose it to users.

- additionnally, within a model, an import action to be able to expose in a module the list of changes from the model history is a frequent request from users that needs currently to be operated manually.

Model history works well at a small / single model scale.... it doesnt at the enterprise level scale where you have tenths of frequently changing models around

4 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• - extract for audit purposes the history of anaplan model and expose it to auditors or even bring it back to expose it to users.

You can save History exports to your Export Actions, enabling daily or weekly exports that you can them import to something like Splunk for reporting and analysis.

- additionnally, within a model, an import action to be able to expose in a module the list of changes from the model history is a frequent request from users that needs currently to be operated manually.

Unfortunately, importing History into a module would generate more History. Your History would soon fill up with duplicating History items. I'm sure you know that you can enable/disable Show History on each individual view that you publish to a Dashboard or Page. This does limit the available History to the line items visible to users, and a model with a lot of History will be brought to its knees and potentially fail the search. So again, I'd point to exporting History to Splunk.

• I had understood that setting up model history action was limited to standard models, not deployed models and furthermore limited to workspace admin for running.

So while your suggestion could work under certain specific cases, i wouldnt fit our auditors uses while maintaining models secured against unitended changes (i dont want to change my deployed production models nor grant auditors workspace admin rights)

• CommunityMember127794
    edited February 2023

"If your model is in Standard mode, select Save Options in History  to save the export as an action. Type a name for the action in the Name field. Then, you can add the export to a process or publish it to a dashboard. Page builders can add it to an action card in the UX."

This just means that you have to create your Export in DEV and push to your deployed model through however many tiers you utilize.

I certainly agree that you wouldn't want to be giving out WSA privileges to auditors or any other non-developer. Thus the Splunk suggestion. Export daily or weekly. Give the Auditors Splunk access to report to their hearts' content.

However, "You must be a workspace administrator to set up a model history export" just means that you need to be a WSA to create the Export action. You can publish the Export to a Page or stick it into a Process and publish the Process to a Dashboard and any Role assigned access to the Export Action can run it.

• BPifer
    edited December 2023

This is a huge need to make the model's event log easier and faster to query. Exporting history freezes our model for minutes at a time, I would be happy if stale logs (minutes stale) were available without impacting user experience when accessing.

I also added my upvote and comment to this thread

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!