How to differentiate when a line item is input and calc on the same module

Options

Hello!

I'm trying to build a module where one of my line items is an input on one hierarchy but a calc on another level of the hierarchy, but I'm not sure if this is possible to build in anaplan, let's have an example:

My Hierarchy is:

Season

Winter

Summer

On the module I have the following line items:

Account Receivables

Interest

Discount

Profit

On winter I can input the account receivables and all the other fields will be calculated accordingly with the lookups with other modules, but when I switch to summer I need to manually input the interest and discount. But can a line item be both input an calc at the same time with just the season change?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers

• Tiffany.Rice
    Options

Hi @PauloM - a line item is either an input or a calculation, it cannot be both. You might think about segregating the interest/discounts into a seperate input module, a best practice is to have calculation modules distinct from inputs. Including a link to an article that lays out the D.I.S.C.O. method for optimal module design.

• rob_marshall
    Options

@Tiffany.Rice

One slight clarification, if the module was using native versions, a line item "could" be calculated for "actual" data but input for forecast data by changing the formula scope. I understand this would not work for the above, just pointing it out.

Hope all is well, we haven't spoken in a while.

Rob

• Tiffany.Rice
    Options

@rob_marshall - great call out! I should have clarified that a line item can only be an input or calculation for the forecast version (if using versions).

All is well, hope the same for you!

-Tiffany