Filter transactional data based on user selective access?

vd_ghnst
edited April 2023 in Modeling

Hi

I have a module with a sales order list with multiple properties (business unit, item, cost, quantity, …). This list spans multiple countries.

I'm looking for a solution to limit what account managers see based on the selective access they have been given. I have enabled this in the 'business unit' list which is one of the properties of the sales order module.

In the example below, the person should only see sales orders from business unit "PSAZ" however this is not the case. I would need to filter the sales order list based on the business unit access that someone has.

Is there any way to refer to the user list selective access parameters by formula?

Thanks!

Matthias

Answers

• Hi @vd_ghnst

If i understsood correctly, your use case is to filter out the order list based on business unit and you've applied selective access in business unit list.

One way to achieve this is:

Create a module with user dimension and business unit dimension and tick all the relevant business units in that module which is applicable and then use this module to apply filter on the reporting module.

This will resolve your issue

Cheers!!

• Hello @vd_ghnst ,

The selective access works when a module is dimensioned with that list. However, it looks like you are showing a transactional list where the selective access is not going to have any impact.

As you have mentioned, you would have to apply a filter based on the content of "Business Unit" and make it work for each user.

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Bruno Rodriguez

• Hi

That would work but that introduces an extra manual step. I basically need to replicate what i entered in the selective access in the filter module. The aim is indeed to filter the transactional data.

I want the same effect but based solely on the selective access. Is there a way to link it to selective access directly? Can I do a lookup to retrieve the business unit(s) a user has access to?

• BrunoRodriguez
    edited April 2023

Hello @vd_ghnst,

Given that you want to apply a filter by transaction rather than selective access due to the reasons I mentioned above. You would need to have a module where you defined the business units where each user should have access. If you have too many BUs, you could do it by groups and assign users to a group.

I hope the below represents your requirements:

1.Initial transactional module

2. Access definition by Business Unit and user:

3. Final Filter to apply:

Formula for filter : 'Business Unit / User'.Access[LOOKUP: BU]

Please let me know if it is suitable!

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Bruno Rodriguez

• Hi @BrunoRodriguez

I follow your logic but my question is how to eliminate your manual step 2.

In my specific case I give a user the rights to write for business unit PSAZ via the selective access in the user page. In order to filter the transactional data, I would need to create a separate module with BU/User dimensions and tick the corresponding box manually.

Can i add a formula to this module that will check which write/read rights a user received via selective access and automatically tick the correct box.

Hope this clarifies

• Hi @vd_ghnst

No, Selective access can not be referenced back to module via formula

• Hello @vd_ghnst ,

I believe these would be two different things. The selective access would work in those modules that are dimensioned by Business Units. However, this is different as this module is dimensioned by the transactional list. As such, you would have to apply a user specific filter in order to hide certain transactinons from each user.

Unfortunately, this would have to be a manual step, but once it is set it will always be like that. Nevertheless, you can have module dimensioned by Groups (i.e., Finance, Supply Chain ….) and define what transactions each group is meant to see and then allocated users into groups to define their access control.

I hope the above clarifies all your questions. Please let us know if we can be of any further help.

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Bruno Rodriguez

• I found a solution 😊

If I add the business unit as parent in the transactional list then the child members take over the access rights from the business unit without any further manual intervention.

• Hello @vd_ghnst,

Interesting. I would be concerned about the additional cells required in the module due to the addition of the hierarchy, but if it works as desired that is the dream. Good job!

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Bruno Rodriguez