Allocate a summary level data input into other

Hello,

In one module, I want users to enter one growth number for a country. I then want that growth number to be applied to every single product in that country (in another module). There are thousands of products in the country, so I don't really want to have to enter the same growth number multiple times. However, I tried using LOOKUP, and it doesn't seem to let me. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• @JZCG

How are you doing the lookup? Are you doing a lookup on the country? Is there a relationship between the Product and the Country?

• JZCG
    edited May 2023

Yes I am looking up on the country. There is no relationship between product and country. I'd like products to roll up to product family, not country. @rob_marshall

• @JZCG

Think of it this way, how does Anaplan know which country to pick for that product? That is why it is not working. As a test, In a SYS Product module, create a line item that is formatted as Country and enter a couple of countries for a couple of products. Now, use that line item for the lookup and it should work because you are making the connection to a country from a product.

I am not exactly sure how your data is set up, but hopefully the above should help.

• @rob_marshall Thank you, but I am not following. How can I enter a couple of countries for a couple of products in a line item?

• @JZCG

It was a test to show how the lookup actually works. If you don't have that link (the product-to-country link), the lookup will not work because it doesn't know which country to get the value.

Let me ask you a question, and I am assuming the answer is yes, but can you have products associated to many countries (Product 1 can be associated to multiple countries)? What value should a product get when it is associated to multiple countries?

• Hi @JZCG ,

I assume you have only 1 country and you have multiple products.
    If so, please find the steps below:
    1.Add top level to country list.
    2. module1 enter growth number for Country.

3. you can directly reference the growth number to all the products.

If not, then you create a relationship/Mapping for the Product and country like @rob_marshall suggested else whole countries sum will be allocated all the products.

Hope this helps :).

Regards,
    Venkatesh

• @rob_marshall @Venki9902 Yes all products are available in all countries. I want all products in a particular country to take that country's number. However, I suppose you are saying that since I don't have a relationship between country and products, there is no way for Anaplan to recognize that? Can I create a list with products being the child of the country (i.e. repeat the product list once for each country)? It'd be a really long list.

• Hi @JZCG ,

Yes, without a relationship Anaplan will not recognize to which products we need to allocate which country's growth number.

To achieve this you can do it with creating a mapping module like below:
    Step1: Country is a line item where its format is list[Country list]

2.Enter value for countries(it is already done)

3.Refer the country growth value in the module 3 by doing lookup with mapping module.

Hope this helps :).

Regards,
    Venkatesh

• JZCG
    edited May 2023

@Venki9902 Thank you. But Product A is available not just in India, but also Japan, US, UK, etc. How do I repeat Product A multiple times in the mapping module?

In your screenshot #3, I'd like to have both country and Products. So it will look like this:

Growth %

India

Product A

5%

India

Product B

5%

Japan

Product A

10%

Japan

Product B

10%

I'd like to enter data like this in a separate module:

Growth %

India

5%

Japan

10%

• @JZCG

Create a module that is dimensionalized by Products and Country with "metric" data as the line item, like sales, units, or $$, or whatever you have to make sure something occurred for that product and country combination. Create another line item, if metric<>0 then Growth% else 0. Since you have Country within this module (in the Applies To), the lookup is automatic to the Growth% module.

Rob

• Hi @JZCG,

If this is the case then you can take two dimensions(country and Product) and enter growth %.
    Because in your module if you are taking the only product as a dimension and even if you mapped to different countries how will product A considers which country's value to take in?

Hope this helps ☺️

Regards,
    Venkatesh

• @rob_marshall When I did the lookup as you said, the growth % is showing as 0 for all countries. It doesn't seem like there was any lookup.

@Venki9902 This is what I want to avoid. I just want to enter one number for one country, not the same number 500 times for all the products.

• @JZCG

Take a look at this, hopefully this helps.

Since Country is already part of the modulle (Product by Country), you don't have to do the lookup as it is implied when you link to the SYS Country module.

Rob