How can I maintain past data when changing formulas?

Options

Hello, Anaplanners.

I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to discuss a challenge I'm facing while working on an activity-based costing model in Anaplan for my end-of-study internship project. Unfortunately, my professor has expressed doubts about using Anaplan for this purpose.

The main concern raised by my professor is the potential impact on past data when changing allocation key formulas. This could create inconsistencies between general accounting and cost accounting. I would like to find a solution to ensure that old data remains unchanged even if we modify the formulas.

I would greatly appreciate any resources, guidance, or suggestions you can offer on this matter.

I'm aware that archiving is a possible approach, but I'm interested in exploring best practices and articles that specifically address this issue.

Thank you for your assistance and support.

Rabab C.

Best Answer

• BrunoRodriguez
    Options

Hello @RababCh ,

I hope you are enjoying your internship!

In terms of maintaing old data, I would consider there are 2 main options:

1. You have a multiple versions and one forecast can be live, while the other forecast can have an old switchover without update. This would allow you to compare your forecast with your actualised forecast.
    2. You take a snapshot of the data and archive it for further comparison.

Hope that helped!

Kind regards,

Bruno Rodriguez