In memory of Matthew Kuo

StaceyBrooks
edited May 2023 in Blog

It is with great sadness that we inform you of the unexpected passing of Matthew Kuo, a valued member of our community. Matthew became a Certified Master Anaplanner in 2018 and worked on the Anaplan platform for four years prior to that. During his time with us, he made a lasting impact on many individuals and contributed greatly to our community.

In addition to his work on the Anaplan platform, Matthew shared his knowledge and expertise with others through various articles and posts. We have included two of his articles below for you to read and reflect on his contributions.

We invite all members of the Anaplan Community to share how Matthew impacted their journey with Anaplan. We know that Matthew touched many lives in different ways, and we would like to hear your stories, memories, and reflections about him. Let's come together as a community to honor his legacy, celebrate his life, and recognize his contributions to the Anaplan platform.

“Working with Matthew was great. He was always up for anything I wanted to do with the Anaplan Community. If it was a user group, he’d give a half hour presentation to an audience of 30 or 60 people on a topic he’d come up with the day before. It wasn’t that Matthew wasn’t prepared or thoughtful in his approach, it was that he knew his subject so well and he was so intelligent he could throw a deck and presentation together in a day — it was just that easy for him…”
– Aaron Wasinger, friend of Matthew’s and Anaplan Principal Business Partner

We extend our deepest condolences to Matthew's family, friends, and colleagues during this difficult time. Rest in Peace, Matthew.

Comments

• As terrible as unexpected to come across this news. My thoughts are with his family and friends. Matthew will be remembered as the friendly, charismatic and helpful person and community member he was. May his soul rest in Peace.

• May His soul rest in Peace.

• Matthew was a pillar of the Anaplan Community. He truly wanted good for everyone in the community and was always willing to lend an ear and help out. I'm in shock and send all the best wishes to his family and all who knew him.

• Huge Loss to Anaplan Family! I never had an opportunity to work with Mathew but I was always admired by his work. His knowledge of the platform was second to none. His smile was infectious. May his soul RIP.

• Matthew has left a lasting impression on me and numerous individuals within our CoE community. He was always eager to share his knowledge and experience, and his contributions to the Anaplan platform were truly invaluable. Matthew Kuo's insightful post on CoE private forum about Center of Excellence (CoE) collaboration served as the catalyst for the establishment of our very first CoE Peer-to-Peer Learning Program. He actively engaged in the learning cohort, leaving an enduring impression on all the members involved.We will miss you Matthew.

• Very sad news indeed. Matthew was such a great person in addition to his years of incredible Anaplan selfless collaboration.

• I'm saddened by his sudden passing. I first met Matthew back when Anaplan Live/CPX/User Conference was called "Anaplan Hub." I also got to do some work with him when he used to work at ZS Associates. He's always been an Anaplan champion and will be missed.

• svernick
    edited May 2023

I feel fortunate to have worked with Matthew at Tableau. In addition his Anaplan expertise, I was struck by his incredible project management skills. He never seemed to let big, complex challenges rattle him. He took each project from start to end with great discipline and care, always taking extra time to bring the entire team along and "teaching us to fish" in the process. I learned a great deal from him. My warmest thoughts are with his family.

• Matthew was one of the very first people I met in the Anaplan ecosystem when I became a solution architect in 2015. Since that day, I was continually impressed by everything he did. He had this special ability to apply depth of thought and thoroughness of detail while still making it seem so simple when he communicated. I always looked up to him and would look forward to any interaction I was able to have with him. While I wish I knew him better, I consider myself lucky to have had the chance to know him at all. Consolences to his friends and family.

• I'm so sorry to hear this. Matthew was my very first customer partnership at Anaplan over five years ago. It was immediately apparent that he was an absolutely amazing builder and teacher. While I was technically his Anaplan support partner, quite frankly he taught me so much about not only Tableau but Anaplan itself; I owe him a lot.

He was an outstanding colleague, mentor, and person. Those who had a chance to have Matthew in their life are better off for it, and those who didn't likely indirectly benefit from Matthew's contributions to our community still today. While it's no replacement to having him still with us, know that he was a highly admired and appreciated part of the community and that he will be sorely missed. My condolences to Matthew's family and loved ones.

• I'm shocked and feel sad to hear this bad news. Mathew was my UCLA alumnus who I had talked to about his Anaplan experience while looking for jobs in 2020. Even way before I talked to him, I read and benefit from his blogs about MBA life, tips for navigating study and recruiting ( https://www.mbaexcel.com/category/mba/ ). He was a super kind person that willing to share and help. My condolences to his family and friends.

• Feel shocked and saddened to hear this news. Even though I never met him, but could learn and be inspired by his contributions to the anaplan community. My thoughts and condolences with the family.

• Saddened to hear of this loss. My thoughts are with his loved ones during this tough time