Allow more intuitive date input via keyboard

Options

Description:

As an end user, I want to be able to type in dates into date-formatted fields using a flexible and intuitive format, so that it is quicker and easier for me to enter required data into a model and allowing me to focus on the outputs, rather than having to spend additional time thinking through the format of my input.

Example of Enhancement:

Currently, the only text input format allowed for date fields is "dd/mm/yyyy". However, this is always the most intuitive format. An example would be the date 03/31/2022. Today, I need to type in "03/31/2022".

At a minimum, I would also expect the following formats to be allowed, but they don't work:

• 3/31/22
  • 3/31/2022

As a nice to have, I would also like to be able to skip typing the current year for current year dates. Example:

• "3/31" should result in 03/31/2022 if I type it during 2022, or 03/31/2023 if I type it during 2023, etc.

Benefit / Impact:

The extra keystrokes and format are counterintuitive when compared to other tools that allow date entry (e.g. Excel, Sheets, most websites, etc). This is a frustrating experience that slows me down, and generally makes planning slower when I need to enter a number of date overrides.

Workarounds:

The current workarounds for this issue are to type in the full date, with leading zeros and 4-digit year, or to use the calendar picker. However, both these options are slower.

Tagged:
14 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Comments

• This is a great idea! We're switching over to the NUX from classic, and the end users have already begun complaining about the need to enter the dates as MM/DD/YYYY for the input to actually take. It seems like a small inconvenience, but when you have people entering dates into multiple different places, it can get quite tedious.

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!