Used IRR formula in a Model but it is returning NaN as result whereas when Same numbers are given as

Used IRR formula in a Model but it is returning NaN as result whereas when Same numbers are given as a input to IRR formula in Excel it is returning a numbeexcel.PNG1.PNG2.PNG

Answers

• Hi,

Looking at the information you've provided it seems like that the formula is correct however you've not provided an estimate for the IRR (im not sure that this is needed or has any relevance) but you could try adding one and see if this makes any difference. The NaN is normally a result when a calculation calculates something infinite. This could be to do with the summary method. Have you tested the '8-1275-Mark-20/2/2019' to make sure the IRR is correct for this. 

In the IRR example here - https://help.anaplan.com/anapedia/Content/Calculation_Functions/All/IRR.html?_ga=2.176266661.1219197203.1551085839-636186280.1545216924 the transactions have a top level / total whereas yours do not maybe you could try adding this. 

I hope this helps! 

Usman

• Thanks for the reply!
    I did try with an estimate but like you said it did not make a difference.
    Have you tested the '8-1275-Mark-20/2/2019' to make sure the IRR is correct for this.
    Yes I tried IRR for '8-1275-Mark-20/2/2019' in excel and it gave me exact answer as anaplan.
    I tried with top level also but it did not change anything.
  • Interesting! 

If it is calculating the correct IRR for the others then it must be correct. 

My other thoughts are that maybe the IRR calc has an upper limit to what can be calculated? 

Could be worth contacting support@anaplan.com and seeing if this is a known anaplan issue? 

Thanks,

Usman

• Hi,
    You've done nothing wrong here, this is not working correctly.

I've tested this and this results is unexpected, it is being raised with our development teams.

As a workaround you can use a timerange instead of the date value.
    Using IRR(Source.Cashflow) which gives the value 49,665.2%
    (you will need to give Terms a top level)

chrome_2019-02-26_12-32-09.png

• Hi @MarkWarren 

Will you post here to let us know once this is issue is resolved? 

Kind Regards,

Usman

• It should be in the Platform release notes when it gets released, best to check there on each release.
    https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Releases/bg-p/Platform-Releases

Will try and update this persoanlly if I remember!

• Thanks! 

I'll be sure to look out for it. 

• how to get the time range as only years?
    When I put Time range I am getting all the months in each year. That is making it cumbersome.
  • Hi Vamshi,

Change the module Timescale to "Year" Format.Photo1.png