Relabel the time dimension

As a model builder I want to have the ability to relabel the time dimension using a specific property/alias so that I don't need to create extra complexity and I can use all the benefits/functions of the time dimension to meet the users's requirements.

I will know this is successful if I could rename FY18 to YearXX and Jan1 to Month1, and so on.

Benefit : Adding extra lookups/modules doesn't always meet the visualisation requirements and adds complexity. Also, it will be possible to use the time dimension and all its functions even in situations where, for example, there is a strict requirement to "sanitise" the time dimension making it generic.

41 votes

Delivered · Last Updated

Comments

• Miran
    edited December 2022
  • Rebecca
    edited December 2022
  • Rebecca
    edited December 2022
  • bradmalis
    edited December 2022

I would like to upvote this idea.  I have a customer that uses a Feb - Jan fiscal year.  They label the fiscal year based on when it starts.  We are presently in FY 19, which started in Feb 19 and ends in Jan 20.  They would like to label Jan 20 as Jan 19 so they can see all of the months in the fiscal year with the same year on it.  There is a related topic, and i will upvote that as well.  

• GrahamJordan
    edited December 2022

Bump. We need this!

• CommunityMember83188
    edited December 2022

A great idea - this would life easier in no end of ways.

• Alessio_Pagliano
    edited December 2022

@Manuela_Apostol , @usman.zia , @Yugnesh.Patel , @MagaliP , @Rich.Buttivant  sorry for the sneaky tagging. Have you seen this sort of requirement and finding the workaround not ideal ? If you agree this would be helpful...could you help with your kudos ? Feel free to do the same with me, whenever needed! 

Thanks,

Alessio Pagliano

• usman.zia
    edited December 2022

Hi @Alessio_Pagliano 

You have my support! 

It would be useful to see this sort of functionality! 

• Alessio_Pagliano
    edited December 2022

@usman.zia , thanks Boss! That Community Boss badge works very well : you made the kudos jump from 6 to 16 🙂 Nice!

• Manuela_Apostol
    edited December 2022

HI @Alessio_Pagliano.,

This is quite an interesting topic but I have mixed feelings about it and I don't see immediately the added value of this enhancement. Is true that is not always possible to use TIME and are some challenges we face as model builders, though the workaround with creating Time Dimension List is at hand and there are not many disadvantages. I would like to know the opinion of our community guru @DavidSmith

Cheers,

Manuela 

• Rebecca
    edited December 2022
  • Rebecca
    edited December 2022
  • DavidSmith
    edited December 2022

@Manuela_Apostol Thanks for the mention

Using dummy timescale is an obvious workaround, but I think the "re-labelling" concept is something much wider.  There have been a number of similar posts, but for me, the ability to have aliases for all lists would be of great benefit; not just for time

So a Display name concept for all lists, time, versions, modules etc

this would allow total flexibility, dynamic labelling as well as dealt with the language support challenges

It is an idea I have and will discuss with our product team

David

• Alessio_Pagliano
    edited December 2022

@Manuela_Apostol and @DavidSmith , thanks for your comments.

David, while you discuss this with the product team, would it be possible to obtain an update on the Versions list ? Subsets/Production data and selection as format would be quite helpful. There are a few ideas for this, all asking pretty much the same - I'm assuming this is the "master" idea ?

Thanks,

Alessio 

• DavidSmith
    edited December 2022

@Alessio_Pagliano 

Yep, I had a discussion last week and we have another next week to discuss these topics.

You'll appreciate the number of conflicting priorities we have, but I am pushing the case

David

• Alessio_Pagliano
    edited December 2022

Thanks @DavidSmith , much appreciated !

• DavidSmith
    edited December 2022
  • Miran
    edited December 2022
  • Samantha
    edited December 2022

I would like to upvote this idea. We use the date format of 17-Jan-19 throughout our work and would like to be able change all our dates in our Anaplan solution to this format.

• Samantha
    edited December 2022

I would like to upvote this idea. We use the date format of 17-Jan-19 throughout our work and would like to be able to change all our dates in our Anaplan solution to this format.

• eschera
    edited December 2022

In addition to relabeling months - it would be good to relabel the quarters as well.  Relabel the roll ups by Season (retail).  

• allison_slaught
    edited December 2022

Would also want to be able to rename to "Period 1" or "P1" and opt to show/hide the year. Will significantly reduce some models' complexity and remove many stories from backlogs.

• matt_anthony
    edited December 2022

Upvote, upvote, upvote! Great way to display data in the lingo that customers/users are used to.

• stephen.brook
    edited December 2022

I'd like to gauge the views of people on this thread on a narrower consideration around Time period labels. While we understand the drivers for a more flexible scheme, e.g. to provide 'aliases' for Lists generally, we have feedback that some customers have specific concerns around the 'FY' prefix used in the labels for aggregate time periods, e.g. for 'Q1 FY19' or 'FY19'.

In cases where customers would rather not see the 'FY' prefix used (e.g. because their model doesn't actually represent a fiscal year), would the option to use a 'CY' prefix instead be of value?

• KeisukeT
    edited December 2022

This is great idea, also would like to upvote!! my core customer really need this enhancement. I think we should have options to adjust local customer business practice.

• RieS
    edited December 2022

We need this function. Please, please, please...!

• Gwen.pryor
    edited December 2022
  • Alessio_Pagliano
    edited December 2022

😞

• david.savarin
    edited December 2022

So is this abandoned or was it rebooted because of the recent status changes ?

I want to upvote that idea as well.

Not a dealbreaker, but the aliasing of time dim would be a good "nice to have"

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!