Drill to transaction on module with versions – tip

Hi everyone, I thought I'd share a something useful I recently discovered, which I haven't seen documented anywhere.

According Anapedia, Drilll to Transaction is only supported for formulas like TransactionModule.Amount[SUM:___, SUM:___]

So this means that you can't drill to transaction on a formula like IF ISACTUALVERSION() THEN TransactionModule.Amount[SUM:___, SUM:___] ELSE complicated formula

And that's generally true, but I've found it does work for this specific type of formula: IF ISACTUALVERSION() THEN TransactionModule.Amount[SUM:___, SUM:___] ELSE COLLECT()

I hope some of you find this helpful too!

Will

Answers

• Hi Will,

is the collect() part really necessary ?

• Hi Nathan,

The idea is that you can do a complex calculation for your non-actual versions in a separate module. Then you can use a line item subset and the collect() function to pull those amounts into the first module. So you end up with a reporting module that contains actuals and forecast, and allows users to drill to transaction for the actual version.

Thanks

Will

• you mean if I do a look up in my other module and collect it, the user can drill to transactions on it because of the collect ?
  • Hi Nathan,

Not quite – if you have a select in your other module, and then pull it in with a collect like this:

ISACTUALVERSION() THEN TransactionModule.Amount[SUM:___, SUM:___] ELSE COLLECT()

... then users can drill to transaction on any ACTUAL periods, but not on FORECAST periods. The point being, if you tried to use a formula like this:

IF ISACTUALVERSION() THEN TransactionModule.Amount[SUM:___, SUM:___] ELSE complicated formula involving SELECT

... then users would not be able to drill to transaction on any period at all.

Thanks

Will

• ok I get it. Interesting. will look further into it, if it is intended or not.