Update/replace renamed list items

How do you update/replace list items (other than manually) that have been renamed in a List assuming the existing list items are not deleted?  E.g.

Products - Existing Names              Products - New Names

Product 1                                         Battery 1

Product 2                                         Battery 2

Product 3                                         Battery 3

I tried importing but the new Product names are added to the existing Products.  Is there any selection that is missed out?

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @Star 

If you want to replace your existing products name with new products name then your product list must have code.

1. create one system module having product as dimension.

Screenshot_112.png

2. Create view and then create one action to change the existing product name to new product name.

Make sure your items uniquely identified by code only.

Screenshot_113.png

Screenshot_114.png

Screenshot_115.png

Now name has been changed in the Product List.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Akhtar

• Hi @Star ,

Code is a unique attribute in a List.

If you want to rename the list, without changing the code, then it is possible.

So your new List items should have the same code of old list item to which you have to replace.

You must map " Code as Items uniquely identified by"

1. Existing List

Capture 1.JPG

2. Source data

Capture 3.JPG

3. Mapping 

Capture.JPG

4. After executing the action

Capture 2.JPG

Thanks,

Sorna Raja Prabhu

• Hi Sorna
    Thanks for your suggestion. I shall give it a try. This brings me to the following questions:
    1) Assuming list item is not renamed (no change) but the code is changed instead, how is it updated other than manually?
    2) Are codes normally defined for list items? Just wondering if it is best practice.

Thanks.

Star

• Thanks, Akhtar. I shall give it a try.
    This brings me to the following questions:
    1) Assuming list item is not renamed (no change) but the code is changed instead, how is it updated other than manually?
    2) Are codes normally defined for list items? Just wondering if it is best practice.

Thanks
    Star
  • @Star 

Every list item should have code to treat it uniquely. It is a best practice I would say. 

-> If you are trying to insert into normal list with same list item but different code then import will get fail because list item name already existed in the list. Import will show "Invalid name" as status.  In this case, you need to delete the existing list item and then re-import the data. 

-> If you are trying into numbered list, then if codes are different then new item will get inserted into the list. 

If you want to update just a name with same code then please follow the instructions given by @Akhtar.shahbaz and @prabhu 

Thanks,

HD

• 1) if you want to change codes, you'll have to have an admin "manual" intervention

2) we usually say that codes are mandatory for lists that will be used to integrate with outside systems input and output, including other Anaplan models. Personally, I try to have codes everywhere I can.

• Hi @Star,

1) Assuming the list item is not renamed (no change) but the code is changed instead, how is it updated other than manually?

It is possible to achieve this, other than manually.

1. Existing List

Capture1.JPG

2. Source File

Capture2.JPG

3. Here you have to change  "Items uniquely identified by - Name Only"

Capture3.JPG

4. Updated List

Capture4.JPG

Yes, it is a best practice to define code.

Thanks,

Sorna Raja Prabhu

• Anaplan identifies a list item by code if the item has one ( all list items should be defined using a code ). Name is more of a convenient way of displaying and describing the list item.

If you want to change the code you are effectively adding a new list item. Therefore, you must import or add the new code and then delete the old code. There is no way of changing the code via an action or process.

WARNING !!! by deleting a list item you are also deleting all data associated with that list item. If you need to retain the data firstly create the new code and transfer data over before deleting the old code.