Syntax for Select Function on Time Periods

What are the time periods that I can use select function for?

Best Answer

• Depends on the time settings you have for the model, you can do select formula on different time periods. 
    As you can see on the screenshot attached. My time setting is by week and I have Quarter Totals/ Half Year Totals/ Year To Date / Year To Go/ Total of All Periods checked. I can use select on the following time periods. 
    Select: Time. All Periods
    Select: Time. 'FY14’
    Select: Time. YTD
    Select: Time. YTG
    Select: Time. 'H1 FY14'
    Select: Time. 'Q1 FY14'
    Select: Time. 'Jan 14'
    Select: Time. 'Week 21 FY14’

Answers

• I have a client with a multi-year model.  In the initial build, we used the Select Time function to select the specific fiscal year we wanted the formula to pick up.  However, as the client uses the model in future fiscal years, this means a relatively long manual exercice of changing these formulas to go from Select Time FY 14 or Select Time Dec14 to 2015 periods and then 2016 etc.

We also have a control module which specifies things like current fiscal year and prior fiscal year; obviously these are easy changes to make and need only be done once per year.

Querstion - can we write the Select Time function with a reference to another module?  EG: Select Time: Control Module.Prior Fiscal Year.  I didn't write the sytax correctly but trust you follow my question  Thanks
  • [quote=Rob Torok]I have a client with a multi-year model.  In the initial build, we used the Select Time function to select the specific fiscal year we wanted the formula to pick up.  However, as the client uses the model in future fiscal years, this means a relatively long manual exercice of changing these formulas to go from Select Time FY 14 or Select Time Dec14 to 2015 periods and then 2016 etc.

We also have a control module which specifies things like current fiscal year and prior fiscal year; obviously these are easy changes to make and need only be done once per year.

Querstion - can we write the Select Time function with a reference to another module?  EG: Select Time: Control Module.Prior Fiscal Year.  I didn't write the sytax correctly but trust you follow my question  Thanks[/quote]
    Hi Rob!

I tested this, and it works with LOOKUP instead of SELECT.

EG: Sales[LOOKUP: Control Module.Prior Fiscal Year]

Of course, Control Module.Prior Fiscal Year must be Time Period formatted and Sales must have a time as a dimension.

Hope it helps! Regards,