Days() Function

Options

Hello everyone,

The below screenshot is from one of the mini videos of Anaplan.
image.png

How can one adjust the "Summary Settings" to get the number of days in a quarter or a year?
I know of 2 ways to return the number of days in a quarter or a year when using the Days() function:

1. To change the time scale for either a quarter or a year. (this will create a subsidiary view)
  2. To explicitly add the period as a parameter to the Days() function such as DAYS(Current Quarter)/DAYS(Current Year)

Can someone please explain to me how to use the Summary setting to get the number of days in a quarter or a year? 

Thanks

Best Answer

• jasonblinn
    Answer ✓
    Options

My understanding is that it was a way of saying that the summary methods work with this formula.

You can have a month time scale and still use the SUM or FORMULA summary method to calculate the number of days in Quarter or Year, etc.

jasonblinn_0-1591723393207.png

jasonblinn_1-1591723475944.png

Jason

Answers

• @einas.ibrahim 

I think you're right. One way is to change the time period.

But honestly, to get the day count I would create a system module for each of the periods needed. Calculate once.

Creating subsidiaries isn't very PLANS friendly, although I don't think it impacts performance.

• Thanks @jasonblinn 

The way you presented would certainly get us the days in a quarter and days in a year albeit not as a separate line item

I’m a stickler for accuracy of words. so when it says “adjust the summary method” it seemed to me as saying if you change the summary from X to Y then the formula will return the number of days in a quarter for example, which I know it’s not accurate. 

• Hey @JaredDolich 

You know, I just recently noticed that we create a different time system module for different time scales (weeks, months, year).

I have always seen one Time Filter module for all time related settings. 

I believe the Function model is designed this way as well as the “old” Time Filter model.

I believe it’s because of your point of avoiding subsidiary views for best practice. 
    I understand the importance of not overusing subsidiary views but I’m yet to find it very relevant when creating a times filter module. Having all the time settings in one module is still attractive to me. I’m sure I’ll adopt to the new methods at some point soon. 

• @einas.ibrahim 

It is cleaner and easier to maintain if they are in separate modules.  If you need the filter for quarters, you go to SYS Time Filter - QTRS, if you need one for Years, you go to SYS Time Filter - Year, etc.  There is no performance or space savings doing it either way.

Rob