Finditem in Subset (Works!)

In a prior post, I'd asked if there was a way to use the FINDITEM function to determine if a list item is a member of a subset. The answer at the time was no, but you could create a line item with an Applies To on the subset, and set the formula to TRUE, then you could create another line item with Applies To on the full list and reference the subset line item. Turns out, you can use FINDITEM on a subset, but you have to type out the subset name, as opposed to navigating to the list and clicking the subset header. This was demonstrated in the line item subset training, which I validated in my L1MB model.

This might be common knowledge, but I wanted to put it out there, in case there are any out there that were like me thinking, "There's got to be a better way!"

dameyer01_0-1611092562181.png

Tagged:

Answers

• @dameyer01 

Yes, you can absolutely do a finditem() on a subset as it is just another list.  But, in changing the Applies To to the subset and just entering TRUE, that will be much faster, especially on larger lists.  Why, because something that is hardcoded to TRUE is way faster than going through a list and looking at the member and the code, which is what a Finditem() does.

Rob

• @rob_marshall 

Big + fast >> Small + slow

😃

• @dameyer01 

Well Played!!!