Dynamic Cells Calculation (DCC)

This feature would allow to selectively switch between "Calculation" or "Manual Input" on a specific LineItem.

Much like the DCA, the DCC would be based on a boolean. When True, the formula would apply but when False the user would be allowed to type data.

This would allow to make Anaplan much more dynamic and greatly limit the number of actions in most models.

For example, in the same LineItem "Revenue" could be based on :

• a transactional actual data before a switchover,
  • manually type for the current year,
  • and calculated based on a kpi in the futur.

89 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Comments

• This would be a great addition. At this moment, we are limited to choose between a formula line item or a editable line item. 

• I came up with a similar idea about 1.5 y ago but did not get much traction:

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/Formula-Access-Driver/idi-p/46670

Would be a great addition to the roadmap!

• @Axel_H 

Yes, sorry for the repost, it's exactly the same idea 🙂

• @damien.bouquier great minds think alike ! 😄

• Great Idea....it helps to get rid of creating duplicate line items in use cases like where we need to override the caluclated value.

• The possibilities this would introduce to modelling would be mindblowing and I can think of a thing or two (workarounds) in nearly every model I ever built which could be replaced. 

• I support this idea whole hartedly. 

Can come with a few models where it would have saved quite some cells and improved User Experience

• I like this idea.

One case this applies to is the override functionality for numeric data, which currently involves 1) an override? boolean that users will check and 2) the override value. The boolean is still present, but it moves to the back-end, possibly with less dimensionality. And I don't want us to underestimate the user experience. The very fact that a user clicks on the cell is enough to show intent to want to override. No need to separately tick a boolean AND input an override number.

And this is just one case. There are many many others.

• This would be very helpful.

• Another vote for this functionality

• Great idea. This will be more flexible than the formula scope feature.

• Looking forward to this function. @jimfeng5 

• Much needed step to get rid of addtional line items.

• +1 upvote. Definitely a much needed function to have for additional flexibility and cleaness in module building.

• I think it would be really challenging for the Anaplan calculation engine to evaluate every cell if it is a "Manual Input" or "Calculation", but an extension to the "Formula Scope" to cross with other Lists than Versions in order to create some slice&dice of a module be considered as "Input" or as "Calculation" for the same Line-item it would be really useful. 

Looking forward to it!

Alex

• Yes, would be very useful. This does exist in a rival product with the STET function.   Eg IF something THEN calculate something ELSE STET.  Where STET allows the cell to receive a manaul entry.

• Quite interesting request,

But imagine that it could be quite complicated where it is calculated and where it is input.

Same as analyzing Excel spreadsheet...

• Yes, much more versatile than formula version or scope, which is quite difficult to handle and present a few notable limitation due to the need to use lis for version formulas.

• This would be a huge game changer to any planning use case!!

• Great idea!  This would really help conserve screen real-estate - not having to create both an input and calculation line.

• @damien.bouquier  I completely agrre. Would be very useful

• pls implement this 😭

• Good idea !

• Great idea!!

• This would be a great idea. Really lessen the workarounds that have to be done.

• ipekkirali
    edited October 2023

• As you mentioned

"Much like the DCA, the DCC would be based on a boolean. When True, the formula would apply but when False the user would be allowed to type data".

1. Does the user provide TRUE or FALSE as input or is it based on condition?
    2. Initially, If the Boolean is FALSE then user can input the data but what if Boolean turned to TRUE. Should Anaplan apply formula for all cells (including previously input cells)?

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!