Acceptable uses of SELECT

Hi All,

It is generally accepted that we should not use SELECT if LOOKUP can achieve the same outcome. 

Therefore, when is it acceptable to use SELECT?

I have been working on generating a variance report where we can retain the original line item formats. Therefore, I can not use a simple LISS to generate the report where the Actual, Forecast and Variance are line items and the variance can be calculated. It is further complicated as the variances needs to be calculated for a series of ratios. 

Therefore, I have used SELECT to pull actuals and forecast where they are a dimension of the module from line items  and to calculate the variance within a series of nested IF statements. The outcome is that I am able to generate a report which retains the line item formatting and correctly calculates for ratios for the relevant hierarchies.

Would this be deemed an appropriate use of the function?

Thanks,

Chris 

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• @ChrisAHeathcote 

I think you got it. Well, at least from my point of view. I use select on "fixed" dimensions like versions and time. The only other time I happen to use SELECT is when I need the parent of a value to compute the percent to total, usually the top level of a list. For example, Counter[SELECT: Distribution Centers.All DCs]

• yes, I use select for variance reports. It forces the builder to have to modify the formula but it is better than a very convoluted logic that they don't know how to maintain