Disable "CheckForUpdates" in Anaplan Excel Add-in 4.1

My organization would like to roll out the new Excel Add-in to a group of users that do not have administrative access to their work computers.  Therefore, it is important to be able to disable the  updates check during initialization of the add-in.  I have determined a way to do this, but wanted to ask if there is a better way. 

I notice the updater.ini file has a setting "CheckFrequency=2".  I assume some other setting 0, 1, 3, 9999, something else but "2" will turn it off.  I can do some trial and error to try and determine this, but wanted to know if there is official guidance on this setting.  Thanks in advance....

Here's the contents of my local install's updater.ini file. 

AppDir=C:\Program Files (x86)\Anaplan\ExcelAddin\
ID={4C10EBFB-65E7-400D-8F96-D2997186E0DD}
ApplicationName=ExcelAddin
CompanyName=Anaplan
ApplicationVersion=4.1.2.295
DefaultCommandLine=/checknow
CheckFrequency=2
DownloadsFolder=C:\Users\MyUsername\AppData\Roaming\Anaplan\ExcelAddin\updates\
URL=https://downloads.anaplan.com/add-ins/excel/current/AnaplanExcelAddin.Updates.Release.txt

Best Answer

• MagaliP
    Answer ✓

This is what we recommend:

1. Go to C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Local\Programs\Anaplan\ExcelAddin

2. Change the name of the application "Updater" to "Updater2"

MagaliP_0-1613723533032.png

Please note: From 4.0, there is no annoying pop-up anymore, we indicate new versions available with a red dot in the "what's new" section of the ribbon

Answers

• No doubt @MagaliP will have a view on this!

• @Stacey_Gibbens This is terrific! I cut/pasted this into my notes for later use. I encounter this a lot. Thanks for sharing. 

Agree with @andrewtye there is no one better to answer this than @MagaliP 

• @MagaliP 

Thanks for the confirmation.  That was what I determined as my own workaround, but I didn't want to spread that concept without official guidance.  😁

Also, thanks for getting rid of the annoying pop-up!  That was actually the reason behind my desire to turn off the update check.... LOL!

Best regards,

Stacey

• You might want to keep the notification then and not apply this workaround 😉