Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Level 1 Source to Target Mapping Part 7

@davidmccarty 

 

Ah, I remember now!  I added that column with the names in single quotes to the CSV file to see if the text delimiter being correctly interpreted was important to the import process.  Turns out it wasn't and it was ultimately superfluous.  I need to rerun the module import without my added column and see how much crow I need to eat to correct my earlier post about UI trickery....

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Level 1 Source to Target Mapping Part 7

@davidmccarty @filip.sypniewski@ChrisMullen 

 

Okay, My original position is only slightly weakened now that my manually added column is absent.  

 

The UI is still prompting for a column that contains display names instead of codes, I'm just no longer able to select the column name that has the list name as an option since it no longer exists.  Following the UI cues still leads one to select not the needed Code column but the unhelpful Name column.

 

 

I recommend an update to the UI for this module data import mapping tab that checks whether the target list is numbered, and if so prompts the user for the code column by giving examples of not the first few display names, but instead the first few code values.

 

Change the Target guidance for the first source identifier:

 

"#E2 Employees (Shiala Engle, Otha Mahan, Sindy Wager, ...)"

 

to:

 

"#E2 Employees (1,5,8, ...)"

 

and the end user will have a much clearer cue as to the expected inputs to allow for automatic mapping.  Making the user consciously pick a column that contradicts what the UI prompts for is, IMHO, sub-optimal UX, especially when the conditions when the contradiction occurs are so clearly defined. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Level 1 Source to Target Mapping Part 7

@chrised209- I like your suggested UX improvement as that is what partially threw me off yesterday when I was getting stumped....

Thanks for all of the help!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Level 1 Source to Target Mapping Part 7

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Level 1 Source to Target Mapping Part 7

@filip.sypniewski "as well as my codes are 001 instead of 1. Though, these of course do not make any difference."

 

This did make a difference for me.  I had to go change the formatting for the Code column in the source file to Text and then copy/fill 001, 002, etc. to get the auto-match to work.  Maybe I'm not understanding something, and I eventually got there, but maybe others will have the same issue so I thought I'd mention it.