Level 2 Sprint 3 INV 01 Beginning Inventory Line item

All,

I am getting a question in the Exam incorrect: 

"In the Supply Chain model, INV01 Inventory Ordering module, enter the formula for the Beginning Inventory line item:"

I have tried both the below formulas, and get an incorrect result both times.

IF 'SYS01 Time Settings By Week'.'1st Week of Timescale' = FALSE THEN PREVIOUS(Ending Inventory) ELSE 'DAT01 Beginning Inventory'.Beginning Inventory

IF 'SYS01 Time Settings By Week'.'Not 1st week of Timescale?' = TRUE THEN PREVIOUS(Ending Inventory) ELSE 'DAT01 Beginning Inventory'.Beginning Inventory

The build instructions say the following:

• The syntax of the formula should be written - If it is not the first week of the year, then use the previous value of ending inventory, otherwise use the beginning inventory from DAT01 Beginning Inventory module. 

I feel like both my formulas achieve the build instructions, and yet I am punished with an incorrect result - can anyone point out where I have gone wrong?

Chris

Comments

• @Cwr100 

Logically you are absolutely right, but technically you are off by a little bit. Although the formula will give you the right output, it is the way you have constructed the formula is not as per best practices and bypassing the best practices in Level 2 there will be a penalty.

Let me explain 

When you are dealing with Booleans you don't write = False or = True. Also you have to check the condition which is more likely to happen first. For example 

Your Formula: 

IF 'SYS01 Time Settings By Week'.'1st Week of Timescale' = FALSE THEN PREVIOUS(Ending Inventory) ELSE 'DAT01 Beginning Inventory'.Beginning Inventory

Analysis of your Formula: This formula checks the condition which is more likely to happen i.e., 1st week of timescale is False. This will be true on in the first period and rest all are false so this is as per best practice but here you have made a small mistake of writing =False in the formula.

Updated Formula: 

1.IF 'SYS01 Time Settings By Week'.'Not 1st Week of Timescale' THEN PREVIOUS(Ending Inventory) ELSE 'DAT01 Beginning Inventory'.Beginning Inventory

Here "Not 1st Week of Timescale" is the line item in the System Module which is just NOT of "1st Week of Timescale"

OR If you don't have Not 1st Week of Timescale line item in your SYS Module then see below

2. IF NOT 'SYS01 Time Settings By Week'. '1st Week of Timescale' THEN PREVIOUS(Ending Inventory) ELSE 'DAT01 Beginning Inventory'.Beginning Inventory

In both these formulae we didn't write = False or = True

Hope this helps

Misbah

• Thanks, that did the trick