Register

POST function within IF THEN ELSE construct

dngingras
Contributor

POST function within IF THEN ELSE construct

In a model I'm working on I need to use the post function.  When I put it by itself in the formula it works fine.  But since I only want to use it when a certain condition is met, I changed the formula to: if NOT lineitem then 0 else post(x,y).  With this syntax, all I get is 0s. Is this a known issue?

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20
jnoone
Certified Master Anaplanner

Re: POST function within IF THEN ELSE construct

Hey - Can you confirm that your boolean line item is getting satisfied?  I have put together an example below and seems to operate as expected.  Is your setup similar? 

post_example.png

Thanks.

Jt

dngingras
Contributor

the structure I have is similar except that the offset amount comes from a number formatted line item.

Thanks for the quick response!

dngingras
Contributor

I figured out the issue.  The POST is working but I have think about my condition.  The way I have it now, if the condition is satisfied in week1 but not in week2, the formula in week2 override the posted value with 0.  Thanks for your help.

Srinivas_Gudi
New Contributor

hey ---when i working with post- if conditon ...not able tp get the proper results..

when i use only post function it give sproper results...

MaartenGijbels

Hi @Srinivas_Gudi ,

It could be related to a lot of things, but in principle it should work.

Have you considered breaking up the formula in multiple parts? By using a separate line item for the value if true, value if false and the actual IF-condition it typically helps you to structure.

All the best,

Maarten.

Srinivas_Gudi
New Contributor

Have Taken 3 Line Items;

Volume and Post Function are  Number Format, Boolean Is Boolean Format.

Post Function : IF Boolean THEN POST(Volume,2) ELSE 0

JAN 20  FEB 20   MAR 20  APR 20    MAY20   JUN20

Volume                :      10          12         14            16              18           20

Boolean               :                                  T            T

Post Function.     :                                 10          12

Why the results are coming like this. 

Whenever Boolean Condition Is true , post the volume line item values into further cells. it means third column is true so  want to post volume results in may20.

MaartenGijbels

@Srinivas_Gudi ,

Are you referencing the line item with the post function or the post function itself? 

Srinivas_Gudi
New Contributor

Am referencing the volume line item in Post function 

dgingras
Contributor

If you want to see 14 in May20, try LAG(Volume,2,0).  POST is working correctly.