Time Settings

Hi,

With respect to the L2MB training, am trying to get some advice on how one does this: "Do not include half-year or full year summaries, unless all months that are included in those periods are selected. For example, do not show H1 FY20, unless all the months included in H1 FY20 are selected."

This is to be done within SYS01 Time Settings by Week module.

Does the solution require a formula or is just a matter of changing settings?

Kind regards,

Clarence

Comments

• @ClarenceAndre 

Great question. Here's a hint. Instead of using the time settings can you think of a summary method for a line item that allows you to solve that use case?

https://help.anaplan.com/en/9ab4e05a-1748-4027-****-525d5bdd5b22-Summary-Method#SpecifySummMethod

• Thanks @JaredDolich for the hint. Let me explore that idea a bit.

Kind regards,

Clarence

• @ClarenceAndre 

Check out the Summary methods for Booleans. 

• Hi @ClarenceAndre,

try to leverage Summary Settings of Line Items. It is good to keep in mind different summary methods which can help you to achieve such things very quickly and easily. 

• Dear @filip.sypniewski @JaredDolich 

Thank you both. I've followed the training instructions and tips diligently including Summary Methods so doubt that's the issue.

I hope the screenshot of my UX is visible below. I am able to select both Jan and Feb 20 but the grid below is not refreshing so that it shows only the selected months and corresponding weeks which is what I would expect.

Also the Override Method is showing 'Air' when I've unchecked the Override Shipping Method?

What could be the issues?

Kind regards,   

ClarenceA_0-1613574467416.png

• @ClarenceAndre Everything looks good.

If you want the override method to be invisible if override is not checked then you'll need to control that with DCA.

INV01.png

INV02.png

• Hi @JaredDolich 

Not sure if I understand correctly.

By "If you want the override method to be invisible" do you mean to turn off the weeks I don't want e.g. if I had only selected Jan and Feb 20 only these two months and their corresponding weeks should be showing?

And the way you do this is via DCA?

I have DCA on but only for 3 line items i.e. Submit Purchase Order Request?, Override Suggested Order Amount? and Override Shipping Method?

In your screenshot I noticed you had it on many other line items - why?

Will having DCA on every single line item in the UX insure only the periods selected are shown?

Kind regards,

Clarence 

• @ClarenceAndre 

With DCA you can make a cell read only, write (editable), or invisible. In this case, when the override Boolean is FALSE, we want override shipping method to be invisible, so we add a DCA driver on the Write or the Line Item. When  you click on the override boolean, then we want the override shipping method to be visible and editable.

Not sure if you can see it but the driver for other line items are different. That's why there's more than one.

• Hi @JaredDolich 

I really appreciate your replies. I understand the general points on DCA.

On the specifics to my question I'm either not getting you or the question is not clear enough.

My question is what do I need to do to show only months and corresponding weeks selected in the UX.

Kind regards,

Clarence

• @ClarenceAndre Gotcha.

Use the SYS01 module to control that. Your Planning Period Filter should be used. shown below.

PlanningFilter001.png

• Hi @JaredDolich 

My SYS01 time settings are exactly the same except:

1. Planning Period Filter Weeks Only I have as TRUE but you have it as 'Planning Period Filter' which would make it exactly the same as the line item of the same name - why would you do this?

2. You have an additional line item Weeks Only? which wasn't mention in the training materials. The Time Scale is after all Week so why do you need this?

Kind regards,

Clarence

• @ClarenceAndre 

All good questions.

1. Good callout. The weeks only line item is used for the combo chart. So you're choices are two. You can just use the planning period filter instead or add the formula to be the same. But setting to TRUE is not correct.  You only want the planning weeks.
    2. Weeks Only? is something I was playing around with. Not needed for L2. Sorry for the confusion on that one. I use it as a filter so that I see weeks only without months in the way. But it shows all weeks. You need just the planning weeks.
  • Hi @JaredDolich @filip.sypniewski 

I think the solution might be in getting the INV01 Inventory Ordering module which is shown on the UX to sync with SYS01 Time Settings by Week, question is how?

I noticed by selecting Jan and Feb 20 (for example) in SYS00 Time Settings by Month,

the correct booleans are checked in SYS01. The issue though is I'm not sure how this is synced with INV01. It should for the display to work correctly but appears not.

Appreciate your comments on the above.

Kind regards,

Clarence

• @ClarenceAndre 

Hehe. Sorry this is so frustrating.

Let's try this.

• In SYS00 there should be a Line Item that is Boolean formatted and is editable. This will serve as the months you want in your planning view. 
    • In SYS01 there is a Boolean line item that references the line item in SYS00 using the MONTHVALUE function. This will set the BOOLEAN to true for only the weeks that fall within the Months you selected in SYS00
    • On the New UX page use the line item from SYS01 to filter your weeks.

For reference, you can see the blueprint in the screenshots I provided above.

• @ClarenceAndre 

Oh, and more thing. Don't forget to set your summary for SYS01 line item to "ALL"

• Many thanks @JaredDolich finally got it to work per your suggestions. Key one was referencing the Planning Period Filter Weeks Only to Planning Period Filter. Seem a bit counterintuitive at first but the difference is the latter is formula derived and retains the month while the latter is just the weeks. Kind of wondering how that happens but am guessing its because the Time Scale is Week - is that correct?

The MONTHVALUE formula in the line item Planning Period Filter somehow retains the month even though the Time Scale is Week - does that make sense?

And as you had suggested I changed the Summary Method for Planning Period Filter to 'All'.

Kind regards,

Clarence

• @ClarenceAndre Yes! 

Well, sorry it took me so long to get to what you were after. Thanks for being so patient.

On to the next one!

• Thanks for being so patient with me as well, Jared. Sometimes it takes a few iterations but most of all we solve what we set out to do with some persevering 🙂 Much to learn with Anaplan, lessons learnt with every misstep.

Kind regards,

Clarence