Between Two Data Hubs

Highlighted
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Between Two Data Hubs

Leave your questions below about Ian and I's discussion on data hubs!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Between Two Data Hubs

First of all thank you Ian and Rob! This was a great segment.

One question for Ian - when you consolidated those 9 data hubs what was your strategy for synchronizing all the actions, saved views, output modules, and system modules?

I had to do a 4 to 1 consolidation for a client recently and I thought I was going to go crazy trying to find all the actions that loaded the properties into system modules, the output modules (and views) used for DH to spoke applications, and the actions being run from their ETL tool (Informatica). 

Is there an easier way? I begged them to let me start from scratch but they thought that would be too risky since everything was working. Plus, they didn't use ALM so each DH was different. Maybe I just had bad luck - but would love to hear your perspective.

Jared Dolich
Highlighted

@JaredDolich ,

Great question and I will let Ian @CommunityMember118743  answer, but one thing that stood out to me in talking to Ian, they ended up consolidating a ton of information.  They quickly realized they had out dated accounts that were not being used anymore and were able to slim down the "master" account list by a huge factor (I want to say it was in the millions, but don't quote me on that).

Back to your question, you really have to take a solid inventory of all actions, views, output modules, as well as schedules (when does the data come into the data hub as well as when does it need to go out of the data hub).  Basically, you have to know every piece of the puzzle.  Then, when you have all of this information, you can start looking at similarities, who needs what, when they need it by, what the granularity should it be, etc.  Once all of that is figured out, you can create new modules/views/actions to get the correct data out.  This also serves as a cleanup project as there may be better ways of doing something (think DISCO) that was not around when the original data hub(s) were created.

@CommunityMember118743 does this align with what you saw and did?

Rob

Highlighted

Thanks @rob_marshall 

I should note that the client was also using sequential numbers for unique ID's in their transaction modules. So you can imagine what I found in the transaction module for columns.

I walked them through the Data Hub: Purpose and Peak Performance best practice article you wrote. Once they saw the performance and space gains they were sold! Instant credibility Rob - so thank for sharing that.

Yeah, taking inventory sounds like the best way. Maybe there will be an automated report someday that will help with that but I think the rigor of figuring it all out not only improved my knowledge of Anaplan but also of the client's business model. So it was worth it.

@CommunityMember118743 (Ian) would love to hear your perspective too.

Great video you two! I can't thank you enough for preparing for, and delivering the chat.

Jared Dolich