Can I configure a chart to respect a dynamic Time filter?

I have a chart with Time on the x-axis. The saved view used to create the filter has a filter applied to Time. The initial view published on the dashboard respects the filter. However, when I change the selections in my driving filter, the chart is not updated.

See example screenshot below.

Chart with Time.png

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Great explanation. While this technique is a great way to reduce maintenance (e.g., you wouldn't need to republish charts most months/quarters), maintenance will be required when extending the model's calendar or time ranges. 

For example, if the chart contains 2017 & 2018 when published and you advance the model timescale to include additional year(s), you will need to republish the charts to display/filter the additional year(s).

Best,

Allison

• Hi Ryan,

Sometimes i used Numbered List Custom Time for this.

Firstly, we need a module that has a line item with a reference month, eg Ref Time.Current Month with Format: Month. This Ref Time.Current Month could be updated automatically or manually input by Admin.

Then assuming we want to create a dynamic rolling 18 months, let's create a numbered list, i.e. Custom Time with the following properties:

1. Display (Format: Text) = Name(Final Month)

2. Add Mth (Format: Number) = Manually input with 0, 1, 2, .... 17

3. Final Month (Format: Month) = Ref Time.Current Month + Add Mth

Now assuming we have a source module where we want to display the values in a chart (let's call it Sales) with Entity, standard time as lists, and there's a line item called Value, eg Sales.Value

Finally we can create a module for the purpose of the dynamic graph. Assuming it has Entity, Custom Time as list, and there's a line item called Value, eg Graph.Value = Sales.Value[lookup: Custom Time.Final Month].

The benefit of this approach is that you need not publish this chart every time (probably every month if you want a monthly rolling forecast), and the Custom Time will dynamically show the relevant months. The downside of this approach is that you do need to create another module just for this charting purpose, and we might get into a workspace discussion. 

Thanks,

LipChean

• Allison,

If you set the dynamic time filters with Time Ranges, you will likely not have to do as much maintenance.

Rob

•  

@rob_marshall wrote:

Allison,

If you set the dynamic time filters with Time Ranges, you will likely not have to do as much maintenance.

Rob

Thanks Rob! Very exciting benefit that came along with time ranges.