Count the number of sparse cells in the MODEL

Hi There,

Can anyone lemme know if we can count the number of sparse cells in our Model? Basically, we want to know the number of blank/non-zero cells in a model (Or) can we count the number of cells which has data in it? ( as per my understanding, if we get the sparse/non-sparse cells we can subtract this from the Total cells in the model)

Inputs appreciated!

Mikhil

Tagged:

Answers

• Hey Mikhil,

In terms of sparsity of individual line items, you could add a new line item that checks if the values are 0/BLANK and then return a 1 or 0, then essentially add up the '1's to see how many sparse cells there are in a line item (and you can compare this value to the total cell count of the line item).

For an entire model however this may be a little time-consuming..!

Cianna

• When I am trying to determine if my model contains a lot of sparsity, I start with the Modules that have the largest Cell Count (which is viewable on the Modules tab in Model Settings). From there, I open the modules that are the largest and look at what Line Items inside the module have the largest Cell Count. From there, it really depends on how the Model is set up and built what, if any, action I take on the specific line items. There are various ways to ensure the Module was built efficiently. Are there unneeded dimensions in the Module and you could use a Line Item Applies to instead? Are you using Summaries/Versions/Time Dimensions appropriately?

There are a couple real good eLearnings under the Advanced Topics training section on the Community Site that will help you determine the right course of action in different scenarios to eliminate sparsity in your Model.

Hope this helps

Brendan

• Hey Cianna,

Thanks for your quick turnaround on this ask. Appreciate it. 

I was expecting something like this but as you mentioned too, this would be time consuming for an entire model.

Looking for an alternative approach or if Anaplan provides any other approach to count such cells.

Mikhil

• Hey Cianna,

Thanks for your quick turnaround on this ask. Appreciate it. 

I was expecting something like this but as you mentioned too, this would be time consuming for an entire model.

Looking for an alternative approach or if Anaplan provides any other approach to count such cells.

Mikhil

• Brendan,

Thanks for your quick turnaround on this ask. Appreciate it. This is really acceptable at module level. But I was wondering if Anaplan provides any other approach to count such cells at MODEL level.
    (or) If we don't have an alternative for this, I'd consider that it depends on the way we design our Model during the development phase.

-Mikhil