Data Copy from One Time Period to Another Time Period

The Bulk Copy feature is great for copying data from one time period to another throughout the entire dataset of a Model. However, what if I just want to copy data from one time period to another in a particular module, and not for the entire Model?

In this example, I will show you how to copy data from 2016 to 2017 for a single module. Please see attached screenshots for further clarification.

1. In your Source module, create a Line Item called 'Time Line Item'. Format this Line Item so it matches with the time period that you want to copy data to in your Target. In my example, I would like to move all monthly data forward 1 year, from 2016 to 2017.
  2. Pivot your Source data so your Line Items are in Columns and your Time Periods are in Rows. Save the view.
    2.png
  3. Pivot your Target data so your Line Items are in Columns and your Time Periods are in Rows.
    3.png
  4. Click on Import and select your Source Saved View
  5. When configuring your import, point the 'Time Line Item' column to the default Timecale in the Target
    5.png
  6. On the Line Items tab of the import, match up the Line Items that you would like to copy data to/from and set the Time Period columns to <Ignore>
    6.png
  7. Run the import
Tagged:

Answers

• +1 Kudo.  Thanks for this.  I wrote up a job aid that is very similar for those that want to "save-off" their decisions (See attached).  In the retail industry we use this for saving an original plan, last projection, etc...  YOu might also consider adding an "action" to automate this process!