Formula Help - Check on only entry

Hi everyone

I need some help with a formula.  I want to create a line item (LINE ITEM B) to check that another line item (LINE ITEM A) only has an entry in one period.  The line item that I want to do the check on is a manual input and has a numeric format. I basically want the model to flag an error to tell me if there are values entered in multiple periods in LINE ITEM A (or a value entered in any period other than the one in my view).

My model does not have an 'all periods' field (and I don't want it to) as I'd thought about a formula that checks to see whether the current period in LINE ITEM A is equal to the sum of all periods in LINE ITEM A. I've a feeling that this should be relatively straightforward but I'm struggling currently.

Thanks

Best Answer

• LipChean_Soh
    Answer ✓

Hi,

You can use TimeSum as shown below:

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 5.53.22 PM.png

A single entry in 1 time period is ok, and nothing is highlighted.

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 5.53.30 PM.png

If more than a single entry is entered, then both entries are highlighted in red.

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 5.53.46 PM.png

Note that the 'Check' module does not have Time as list.

'Total of All Periods' is not turned on either.

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 5.56.04 PM.png

Thanks,

LipChean

Answers

• how many periods do you have in the model and is this likely to change?

• 6 years (broken down into months) and yes, a new year will be added every year (but not frequently obviously). I'm currently summing up the 6 FY totals manually in the formula and doing a check on this but it's a bit clunky as the formula will need to be edited manually each year the model is rolled over (admittedly not a big job if it's documented properly).

Although I'm hoping there's some sort of 'NOT CURRENT PERIOD' type formula that'll do it a bit neater, in the absence of the all periods field in this model. 

• Perfect. Thank you!