How to create two or more import actions into the same module

Lets say i have a source file need to be imported into module. Few of the line items need to be cleared before import for all rows and few others need not. How can we create two import actions by keeping the same target module and same source file.

One work around is splitting the module, but am i missing some other way?

Thanks

Arun

Best Answer

• Harsha
    Answer ✓

Hi @ArunManickam 

1. To Clear few line items for all the rows, you can create another line item say "CLEAR" with blank value and create saved view with only clear line items. 

2. Import into same module with clear saved view. Map CLEAR line item to the line item which you want to clear before importing. you can ignore remaining which you don't want to clear.

Note: You have to create multiple CLEAR line items to clear the multiple line items. 

3. Import new file which you want to import. 

Hope this helps.

Harsha 

Answers

• Combine the file as one and import

• @ArunManickam 

If I understood your question correctly you are trying to Clear few line items (lets say 2 out of 5) across all dimensions in a module.This is where I am confused "Few of the line items need to be cleared before import for all rows and few others need not"  What is few others need not - is it line items or Rows ? Are these applicable to all dimensions?

Anyway let me share what I understood thus far - As you know that having two imports with the same target and source will not happen. So why didn't having a process with clear in the first import and load the source file in the second import come to your mind. I am sure there is something that I am missing here and there is a catch

**You can keep the formatting of Clear line items as No Data so that there can be some space optimization. 

Thanks,

Misbah

• Hello,

I want to purge few line items for all the rows and other line items i just want to update the values from the file. I am trying to leverage the "clear option" under the line item tab.

But this option is meant for all line items in the import or none. So I am trying to create two imports between same source and target.

ArunManickam_0-1578992910913.png

Thanks

Arun

• @ArunManickam 

Here I have created 4 Line items i.e., Line item 1,2 3 & 4. Line items 1 and 2 need to be zeroed out and Line items 3 & 4 needs to be updated. Below snapshot is before loading the File 

Misbah_1-1578995558745.png

Step1 -  I load the file as usual into the module. Snapshot of file is as below

Misbah_0-1578995540960.png

Data gets loaded into the module as usual. All the cells gets updated as of now

Misbah_2-1578995608453.png

Step 2 - I have created two more line items i.e., Line item 5 & Line item 6 with No Data format.

Step 3 - Created an import which mapped  Line item 5 & Line item 6 to Line item 1 and 2 respectively & ignored Line item 1 and Line item 2 in the source

Misbah_1-1578996038324.png

Step 4 - Create the  Process of both these imports and put them in the same order and Run it.

Misbah_0-1578996011076.png

Step 5 - See the results in the Target module. Line 1 and Line 2 are zeroed out and Account 3 and Account 4 are updated in Line 3 & 4

Misbah_1-1578996371378.png

Thanks,

Misbah

• @ArunManickam  I would leave always "Mapped Items in source" in the tab of the items in the import actions. 

This is not the tab where you clear all the rows of that line item or not. If you choose "all items" it will be cleared all input line-items in the module..which can be risky because you could have also some line-items that are manually changed. 

It is in the other tabs of the other lists you can choose the "rows" to be cleared using the same options, but for the other lists. 

But, from what I understood from your request, what you need to achieve is not possible using this flags, also because, indeed, you cannot create in Anaplan 2 different actions based on the same source and the same target. 

I would use the solution proposed by @Harsha and create another action in order to clear all rows for the line items that you need to be cleared "ALL" and create this actions maintaining in all tabs for all lists: mapped rows only flagged.  ("matched items in source").