Import error (parent item has a child item that is in a different list)

Hi all,

I'm getting the following error in one of my import:

Import into Hub_0_Product_Group Marketing L8 # list failed: Parent item has a child item that is in a different list:
You can only add a child to a parent item, if any existing children of that parent item belong to the same list.

Do you have any tip/advice to detect and fix the root cause of the issue ?

I'm struggeling on that.

Thanks,

Best Answer

• Have you tried using a numbered list? 

If so, and the error persists it would appear that you are trying to create a parallel hierarchy.

Create a duplicate second hierarchy using the desired parents and children ( this parallel hierarchy will contain a duplicate parent and the second child )

Create a mapping module which maps the two hierarchies using the parallel hierarchy's child list as the dimension and the primary hierarchy's parent list as a list formatted line item. Establish the relationship between parent and child and use this mapping when creating aggregation using the parallel hierarchy.

Answers

• Does the code used in the child also exist in one of the parent lists?

David

• Hi David,

Thank you for your reply 🙂

The parent list is a subset and I was importing items outside this subset into the child list. After having updated the source to export only items part of this subset it's working.

Maxime

• Excellent - Glad you got it sorted
  • Thanks Chris, I'll try this if I face this problem again

• Hi Maxime,

I am also getting the same error and i am using the sub set as a parent but didn't got what you did to solve the issue can you guide me what you did?

• @Maxime.Schaller Thank you so much for this post! We had a similar subset parent issue and managed to resolve after reading this.