Inverse Waterfall

Hello Community,

I want to create a waterfall that goes from Actuals to Budget. However, the sign of the items is reversed in the original data (negative sign means extra spend). The calculation would be:

2019-04-04 17_03_35-Anaplan - Fabio - Test Model.png

Is there any way to build a waterfall like this in Anaplan, keeping the original sign of the data? I tried different ways but the waterfall only works if the summary line item is a simple sum of the other items.

Thank you for the help.

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi,

A couple of observations:

1. Are item 1, item 2 and item 3 members of the standard version? Hopefully you're just using  'Actual' and 'Budget' as example line items, otherwise you'll be adding a lot of additional workspace through item 1, item 2 and item 3.

2. You're right, waterfall seems to only work with the ending line item being a summation  of it's preceding line items. As such, i created 3 additional line items shown below, which are the negative of the original 'item 1', 'item 2' and 'item 3'. Finally, Actual is a summation of Budget and the 3 new line items.

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 8.13.24 PM.png

Thanks,

LipChean

• Thank you for the reply LipChean,

I was aware of the possobility of changing the sign, but then it is also changed in the waterfall and it can be confusing for users.Maybe there is no way to solve this at this moment.
  • @fabio.casalegno 

I tried to think of a solution also and changing to the negative was the only way I could think of too. 

Maybe Anaplan needs to develop an Inverse Waterfall chart! Worth suggesting it in the Anaplan Ideas! I will definitely support it!