Linking a set date to a specific time range

I spend the last 2 days trying to dynamically linked a specific date (specified by a user)

I created a module to have visible the versions, country and initiatives (as my lists) and of course the line cost items and calculate the monthly charge per cost line item per costing type based on the elapse time between start and end dates

One of the line items is start date (there is an End Date as well but i think it will be resolved as for the Start Date). The monthly cost items has to be linked to the dates

This is part of an "input sheet" 

Then to assign the cost to time, I created another Module. This one will assign the  monthly costs to time based on the versions, country and initiatives.

The idea to determine the monthly cost per cost type and per cost item and the first occurrence on the time line has to correspond with the start date on the input sheet and of course the last occurrence the end date.

Now – the problem statement:

My plan was to use the start date and end date to assign start and end dates  to determine start and end time periods. 

I have tried numerous options without success:

Best Answers

• DavidSmith
    Answer ✓

Sure

A staging module is just another name for an intermediate module

It would be worth reading this article if you haven't already

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Knowledge/Best-Practices-for-Module-Design/ta-p/35993

So from the "ask", if the dimensions of the two modules are the same (apart from time) you can just directly reference them

What is the dimensionality of the ""costs" module?

David

• alexpavel
    Answer ✓

Hi Roelofg, 

If I understood correctly your goal is to spread the "PR"  cost in the target module "Market Cost alloc PR" only in the valid months that are setup by the "Start Date" and "End Date" in the source module "Marketing Promo Planning Cost Centre".

If this is your goal and assuming that "Start Date" and "End Date" are correctly setup and are following the months, 

In your target module ( "Market Cost alloc PR") you could have a formula like this:

For Cost per Month:

If start(item(Time)) >= Marketing Promo Planning Cost Centre.Start Date and start(item(Time)) <= Marketing Promo Planning Cost Centre.End Date Then Marketing Promo Planning Cost Centre.PR else 0

For Start Date:

If start(item(Time)) >= Marketing Promo Planning Cost Centre.Start Date and start(item(Time)) <= Marketing Promo Planning Cost Centre.End Date Then Marketing Promo Planning Cost Centre.Start Date else 0

For End Date:

If start(item(Time)) >= Marketing Promo Planning Cost Centre.Start Date and start(item(Time)) <= Marketing Promo Planning Cost Centre.End Date Then Marketing Promo Planning Cost Centre.End Date else 0

Ciao

Alex

Answers

• @Roelofg 

Could you post some screen shots of what you have and what you expect to happen.  It will help to understand the problem statement better

David

• Thanks for that, but could you explain the dimensionality and relationships between the two modules.  How does Sales Team UK relate to United Kingdom.

Are you trying to pull the dates based on the country line item in the first module?

I would also add that is would be cleaner not to use subsidiary views for the second module.  Create a staging module without time.

David

• Ok let try:

The hierarchy is All, Region, Country, Cost Center.

The reasons for using the hierarchy in both modules are:

To allow planning at the lowest level

To report on the monthly cost on all levels including the lowest level

Another reason is that will allow for role allocation later one

saying that, it appears that i am missing a level on the second model - oops

Please explain "use a staging module"..

Sorry for these as i am very new to Anaplan.

• Aaahh..... The light when on with this statement :

"So from the "ask", if the dimensions of the two modules are the same (apart from time) you can just directly reference them"

This resolved my problem.. Thank you

• Excellent - very often the solution is discounted because it is so simple!!

Glad it's resolved

David

• Thank you Alex