Re: Issue while importing data using one of the mapping options 'Ask each time the import is run'

Hi,

I am trying to import data from one module to another. And in one of the mapping, I gave the option as 'Ask each time import is run'. The issue I am facing is it is not mapping to one particular record, instead, it is loading all the records into one record.mappingmapping

Importing from this  moduleImporting from this module

Importing into  this moduleImporting into this module

Best Answer

• VIGNESH.M
    Answer ✓

Hi Vamshi,

What I suggested will load data for one record based on the Item in the filter. 

Next time, select the different record and load data for that record only.

Photo1.png.jpg

Your previous record data will be still the same.

~Vignesh

Answers

• Hi Vamshi,

In your case, "Ask each Time Import is Run" will import the sum of the records data into 1 particular record.

Example, the Sum of all records loaded into ITEM 1 which I selected.

Photo1.png.jpg

Try the alternate way to achieve the same,

Create a filter line item to select which particular record needs to be copied.

Apply the same filter in your import view and map the dimensions.

Photo1.png.jpg

~Vignesh

• @CommunityMember131103 ,

It depends on what you are attempting or wanting to do with this import.  A couple of things to note:

• all imports should be from a view where you can filter the appropriate data (something Vignesh mentioned above).
    • The filtering also helps you to only load the data you need to load (detailed members like months vs. Quarters, as well as, in your case, Record List and not "All Records").

From what I can see in your mapping, you might have the the mapping incorrect.  If your record list is long (longer than 5 members), I am not sure you will want to be prompted everytime this action is run.  Instead, change the mapping, as well as your view,

• Line items in the columns (so you can use Column Headings)
    • remove the parent levels of Record List (so you only get the detailed members).  The parent levels can also be "removed" from the view using a filter.  If the Record List is a numbered list, you will need to have a line item showing the code so you can link on that.
    • Place Time in the Page axis, but you will need to use a SYSytem module to only bring in the months, assuming you are not loading into a Quarter or Year module

2019-03-12_08-44-08.png

2019-03-12_08-45-05.png

2019-03-12_08-45-17.png
    • Your mapping would then look like the following:
      2019-03-12_08-48-50.png

Hope this helps,

Rob

• @VIGNESH.M 

Thanks for the reply.

What you suggested will load only data for one record. What I am looking for data should be  loaded for each recorded separately on the prompt.

And records will keep on adding. So in future data should be intact for  the old records that are loaded. Import should  only change the data for  the  new record.

• @VIGNESH.M  

So but every time someone has to change the filter manually?

• Yes, Vamshi.

• But That is not what I  am looking for. Import action will on the dashboard and the user just wants to select the one record at a time and import data. 

• @CommunityMember131103 

Can I ask why are you importing from module to module driven by users? 

This is not "normal" Anaplan modelling so I'm interested/concerned as to why you need to do this.

We should be trying to minimise user driven actions wherever possible especially for data movements

David

• Hi @DavidSmith ,

Its a requirement from the user. Like I have data set in a module for several locations ad dimension.

Ex for  Jan   Loc A 30

Loc B 40 

Loc C  50

this data keeps  on changing

so in jan he  want to take  the snapshot of  it 

for record 1  Loc A  jan   30 

record 2  Loc  B Jan   40  

So if in Feb data changes to 

Loc A 35 

Loc B 45

Loc C 55 

and he creates  wants to create a new record 

say record 3 Loc a Feb 35

other previous records data  should not get altered.

• @DavidSmith 

We do have similar examples. It is typical in Supply chain.

For eg,

Based on today's demand & supply situation, I have a gap of 50 units on a particular material. I want to release a Purchase requisition to buy 50 units of the material. System calculates for all materials that need to be top up like this. Lets call them "planned orders". If the planner decides to convert them to real orders, in this case as a "Purchase requisition" for exection, the planner has to tick on a boolean called "Release". Then at the end of the day or after the planner reviews all lines, an action has to be triggered by the user to import all the selected planned orders to get converted as "Purchase requisitions". The purchase requisition is a record and can be tracked when it was created, when it was delivered etc. Whereas planned orders are dynamic, changes with time & data. These cases need an import, typically triggered by the supply chain planners.

Arun

• HI @rob_marshall 

Take the same example and suppose I want to do the import based on the last list item that I added into that list (the extra list (dimension) in the target module)  then what should be my approach?

I believe it is not user friendly to ask end-user for which list item he has to save the snapshot when your list has more than 20 list items.

• @swapnil_J 

I totally agree the action should not prompt the user when importing which is what I stated:

2021-01-17_08-08-14.png

First, it is really not best practices to have endusers upload files to a production model because:

• could possibly lose data integrity
    • data can no longer be audited back to the source (user can manipulate/change the data before they upload it)
    • when a user runs an action, it blocks the model for input by others, so now there could be a concurrency issue

Second, when a member or metadata is loaded, the member has to go into a list first and then the supporting metadata or transactional data goes into a module.  So, if you are importing a new member to the list and then want to load supporting information to a module, you can do that with two actions:

• load member to list
    • load supporting data to module.

By doing that, it will only load the data from that one file.

Rob