Removing Duplicates with custom conditions

Highlighted
Contributor

Removing Duplicates with custom conditions

Hi

I have a requirement to delete duplicates with some custom conditions. Consider the Element "occurrence" in below image for your reference, I need a formula to automate this boolean element. Conditions are as follows

1.First two elements with first data "11" has Second Data "0" and "1" , In such a case , we need to check the one with "0".

2. Next three elements have similar conditions , hence we need to check both elements with value "0".

3. Next three elements with "13" has all "0" s in Second Data , hence any two can be checked.

4. All the other elements have unique values for "First Data" and hence all these needs to be unchecked..

Assumptions

There is at most one element with a particular value of "First Data' having "second Data" as "1".

Screenshot.PNG

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks and Regards

Aakash Sachdeva

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Certified Master Anaplanner

Re: Removing Duplicates with custom conditions

Hi Aakash,

Try this,

Step 1: Create a list called "First Data" and populate this list from column 1(First Data) of Module.\

Create a import action and use it.

3.png

Step 2: Create below line items and use the formula given below

1.png2.png

Let me know if i understood incorrectly.

Regards,

Vignesh M.

Message 2 of 11
Frequent Contributor

@VIGNESH.M 

Let me share my thoughts here.

It might not work when there are more than 3 entries in first data column when the expectation is to take only first two into consideration - your approach will take n-1 entries into consideration for n entries.

Please correct me if I got it wrong

Thanks,

Miz

Message 3 of 11

@Misbah, the solution will work for more than 3 entries. My understanding is that, there shouldn't be any duplicate following custom condition and it's not like we should consider first 2 entries only. Please check the screen shot provided in the solution.

Message 4 of 11
Frequent Contributor

@VIGNESH.M 

I think I was not able to put down my thoughts effectively, hence sharing the screenshot

clipboard_image_0.png

Mimicked your solution here.

If you change Old East's (Row 2) value from 11 to 12, see what happens to the Boolean checks - it checks 3 boxes of First data 12 when it should have stopped at 2 of the boxes (Which was the expectation)

Thanks,
Misbah

Hope 

Message 5 of 11

@Misbah , here the request is remove duplicates, it's not like we have to take only first 2 entries data. 

N-1 records should be deleted from N records, this is the expectation.

@aakash , Can you confirm whether the solution work or not.

~Vignesh M

Message 6 of 11
Contributor

Hi @Misbah , @VIGNESH.M 

I appreciate your efforts and Vignesh your approach will work, but In this case I am looking for just a formula based solution, I can implement this with import easily as you suggested . I would appreciate if anyone can provide any formula based solution. 

Thanks for your help

Aakash Sachdeva

Message 7 of 11

@aakash ,

Try this, it works without import, just formula only.

1.png

2.png

Regards,

Vignesh M

Message 8 of 11
Frequent Contributor

@VIGNESH.M

What threw me off was Aakash mentioning the condition that any two can be checked (Condition number 3).

clipboard_image_0.png

Anyway if Aakash believes that it exactly fits his requirement then case closed. Awesome & Good Job.

Thanks,

Misbah

Message 9 of 11
Community Boss

@aakash ,

If I am understanding this correctly, you can concatenate the fields you need and encapsulate them within the IsFirstOccurrence() formula as the first parameter.  This should get you the same result without using the Rank function.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Message 10 of 11