Roles->Dashboards access

Currently we have the ability to tag a role to modules, versions, lists & Actions in Anaplan. But do we have the ability to tag a dashboard? Practical challenge: I have huge number of models. And these modules are referred in 5 dashboards. So, I have blindly given access to all the modules, list, actions for all the roles in the model. Now I want to assign a dashboard to 5 different role. Because, at the end of the day users will access only dashboards. But I couldn't see an option to tag a dashboard to a role. I tried achieving it by selecting the required dashboard in the contents tab. But when the user click the 'show hidden contents', user is seeing all the dashboards since I have given access to all the artifacts present in the system. Is there any efficient and simple way to handle this? It would be an cumbersome activity if I want to give access to specific modules, lists and actions.

Best Answer

• VSekar
    Answer ✓

Hi Misbah, 

Though we don't have an option to directly assign the role to dashboard, by using this content tab we can control them by selecting what they should see and access. I will uncheck the enable access to hidden contents. 

Thank you for providing a work around solution for this.  

Answers

• Hi @VSekar 

Yes this is possible:

1. You need to create a new role for this access.

2. Create a specific role based landing dashboard which only has access to the dashboards they need via action buttons.

3. In the contents settings page make sure that this role only has access to the dashboards in that roles content page. 

4. You must consider whether any of the dashboards have links to open other dashboards that you don't want that user to access and then remove that link/action button.

You must also ensure that this role has access to the modules and lists and versions and actions used in the dashboards they have access to.

Then this should satisfy your role specific dashboard access requirement.

I hope this helps! 

Thanks,

Usman

• @VSekar 

We don't have such functionality in Anaplan where you can directly assign Dashboards to the roles. Dashboards comprise of modules, lists, saved view, actions etc. so we have to provide access to all these artifacts accordingly. 

One thing however I would like to highlight is that about hiding contents and not allowing the users to see what is hidden. You can find that in Contents Command

Contents->View->Enable access to hidden content(just keep it unchecked)

Thanks,

Miz

• Hi Usman.Zia,

Thank you taking time and replying to my query. Even if we give the access to landing dashboard by creating a separate role and keeping all the required contents in that landing dashboard, still they can see the hidden contents if they click to see that. 

• A simple trick is to add a module to a dashboard.  then only assign the roles to that module that you want to see the dashboard

If a role doesn't have access to every element on a dashboard, the dashboard is not visible to the user

Hope that helps

David

• Hi David, 

I have huge number of modules. (Lets say around 800 for example). But all these 800 modules are referred only in 5 dashboards. So, if I want to give access to the specific modules in line with the dashboard, that will take a lot of time for me to identify and provide access to the respective modules within that dashboard. 

Rather than that, now I have blindly given access to all the 800 modules, all the lists and actions. And I have selected only the required dashboards in the content tab for the respective roles.  So, users can see only the dashboard which we have selected in the contents tab though they have access to all the artifacts int the model. (Provided we need to disable the option to see the hidden contents). 

• @VSekar 

Just on the point of lists, don't give roles access to lists unless the users need to add/delete the entries.  Doing so will unnecessarily add to the memory overhead in the background, as Anaplan will be preallocating blocks of memory to allow users to add.  If the users don't need to update the lists they shouldn't be given write access; you can still enter data into a module without needing access to the list

David

• Hi David,

Thank you so much for your valuable point. Definitely it will hep me to optimize the model. My users doesn't need to edit the list. So, I will not provide any access to the list for their roles.