Size calculation of modules

Contributor

Size calculation of modules

Hi Team,

Can anyone help me to understand, how we are calculating the module size in GB format? If I want to see the actual size of my modules in GB then, do i need to enable any option in Anaplan.

Regards,

Devika

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Certified Master Anaplanner

Re: Size calculation of modules

This is a rough, high-level way to estimate - here's how I go about it:

• I get the total model size by going to the gear and double clicking on the cell count that shows up next to the "Model Settings" header (you can also get the model size by going to "Manage Models" and it will be displayed by the model name)
  • I get the total cell count either from the same location (rounded) or by adding up the cell counts from each module
  • Divide the model size by the number of model cells to get a size per cell
  • To calculate the size of a given module, multiply the cell count from that module times the model size per cell from above

Again - this is rough and does leave out the size of lists (which may or may not be material, depending on how your model is set up) and possibly other factors as well. But it's a good way to get an estimate.

Message 2 of 15

Hi, 

I might have what you are looking for.

I've created and documented a process which is allowing anyone with a model builder licence to dynamically update a dashboard that will show a series of information :

> Model size in Gb by modules

> Historical comparison

> Anything else held in the grid (which therefore means having backups of formulas and enabling to quickly report, for example, anything that isn't "used")

Attached a screenshot of what it looks like. Happy to share with the community, assuming some might find it helpful? I find this particularly helpful and the solution could have several use cases.

I assume Anaplan might, at some point, deliver similar out of the box functionality.

Let me know if that's the sort of thing you are looking for ? Sample picture attached

Alessio

Message 3 of 15
Highlighted

I would be interested in building out a report like this in some of our models and I do see that there could. Would you be able to share?

Message 4 of 15
New Contributor

Hi Alessio,

I am really interested to know how you are capturing the model size.

Could you please let me know how you are doing this?

Thanks,

Arnab

Message 5 of 15
Contributor

Hi Arnab,

After my research on size calculation, I have found the below point from community itself. But I don't have the exact link currently. However, this calculation helped me for optimizing my model.

Model size in Anaplan is based on the number of cells in the model and each cells takes up approximately 10 bytes of space.  This converts to each cell taking up 0.000000009313 GB so the size of a 1 billion cell model in Anaplan could be estimated as 1,000,000,000 cells x 0.000000009313 GB per cell or 9.3 GB.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Devika 

Message 6 of 15
New Contributor

Thanks a lot Devika. I already found that earlier. But, from here we can get an approx size but not the actual size. I was looking for how the actual size is being calculated.
Message 7 of 15

Hi all, 

Sorry, incredibly busy, but I'm going to take a quick look at it and see if/how I can share specific documentation.

Thanks,

Alessio

Message 8 of 15
New Contributor

Thanks a lot Alessio.
Message 9 of 15

Hi all, 

Please find attached a "sanitised" version of a document I prepared for a knowledge share session with the rest of my team.

I've created this report more than one year ago, rushing through it and improvements can be made...however, in its current form, it does a good job for us and is reasonably reliable.

You can obviously take as much of the technical solution as needed, some areas are very specific to the way we run things our end.

Feel free to : 

- Confirm if the cell size is correct (I retrieved it from the community long time ago)

- Share improvements (some areas are very specific )

- Share some Kudos, if you found any of the content/concept helpful (hopefully you will!)

I've also created a new post in the Idea Exchange forum. It would have been much easier to share the solution via a small dummy model. 

Thanks,

Alessio

@bdeaton FYI